Anorexia (nsfw? eep!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anorexia (nsfw? eep!)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

I know too many girls that went from looking normal and beautiful, like the one in the mirror to thin and ugly.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Wow. I was actually shocked, which protected me from having to decide whether to puke or cry.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Partially modeling industry driven and endemic female society behavior in the industrial world. Example is a Live Science article from yesterday on female 'fat talk', an over reaction to which spawns anorexic and other body image behaviors in some women;

Article....

Female 'Fat Talk' Mandatory, Study Finds

It’s almost inevitable: When women get together, the chatter eventually turns to whose skinny jeans don’t fit anymore and who weighs in heavier on the scale. And participation is socially mandatory, a new study finds.

Researchers call this “fat talk,” a term coined to describe a behavior common in middle school-aged Caucasian females. But the phenomenon seems to occur in older females as well.

“We have found in our research that both male and female college students know the norm of fat talk—that females are supposed to say negative things about their bodies in a group of females engaging in fat talk,” said study co-author Denise Martz of Appalachian State University.

Self-degradation is predictable

In one study, Martz and her colleagues showed 124 male and female college students a scene describing three women engaging in fat talk. The test subjects were then asked to predict how a fourth female would respond to this discussion.

Forty percent of male subjects and 51 percent of female subjects believed that the fourth female would self-degrade her body, in results that will be detailed in the June issue of the journal Body Image: An International Journal of Research.

“Because women feel pressured to follow the fat talk norm, they are more likely to engage in fat talk with other females,” Martz told LiveScience. “Hence, women normalize their own body dissatisfaction with one another.”

“If there are women out there who feel neutrally or even positively about their bodies, I bet we never hear this from them for fear of social sanction and rejection,” she said.

Coping mechanism

As obesity rates in the Unites States climb, more and more females are finding their bodies further from the beauty ideal put forth in the media, and thus more women could be coping through fat talk, researchers hypothesize.

“Females like to support one another and fat talk elicits support,” Martz said. “An example would be one saying, ‘It's like, I'm so fat today,’ and another would respond, ‘No, you are not fat, you look great in those pants.’”

Fat talk also allows females to appear modest, a prized quality in a culture that shuns egotism.

“We tend to dislike arrogance and especially dislike it in women (‘bitches’)”, Martz explained. “Women are perceived as OK if they fat talk and acknowledge that their bodies are not perfect but they are working on it.”

Land of opportunity

The phenomenon might be exclusive to wealthier countries where food is abundant. In nations where famine rules, people often regard heavier bodies as a sign of good fortune and status, Martz said.

In the United States some people show their social status by their ability to be thin, which translates into meaning they are disciplined in their food intake and exercise, Martz said.

Researchers hope to better understand fat talk and its function in society to create awareness and instill change.

“I wish women would worry less about their bodies—while still taking good care of their health through behaviors like stress management, regular exercise and healthful eating—and spend more time learning, helping, educating, leading, solving problems, rising to positions of influence and contributing to society in general,” Martz said.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 March 2007, 07:24.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

the XX in my life thinks she is in the plus side.
          granted that here in this country she is above average, but simply put, the average in this country scares the living hell out of me.

That and there is nothing to grip on to
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sasq, I think you would break the average in your country

The funniest thing about this is that I bet a most men don't even like skinny women. Granted, most probably also don't like obese girls, but there's something in between that's really looking good.

I want bouncy.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I've only known one guy who was into skinny women and he was a slime; he told his g/f that if she broke 100 lbs (45.36kg) he'd break up with her. She was 5' 6" (1.68m)

I think most guys are into curves as in the 40's bombshells; Jane Russel, Lana Turner etc.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 March 2007, 10:10.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Curves, boobs and booty Unfortunately women think they need to be Kate Moss or Twiggy.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X