Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An FTP question for MAC OS X users

Hi

Some one just came to me complaining that their trusty FTP application no longer works since an upgrade to our web servers. They are running OS X and I couldn't catch the name of the FTP client due to a very heavy accent.

What is a good free FTP client for OS X that supports SSL? Cyberduck came top of Google, but I have no idea if it is any good. We are a MS campus, that seems to barely tolerate Macs, let alone support them.

Many thanks,

Tony.
    FT.

Cyberduck is fairly decent and has always faired well against the commercial Mac FTP apps. Personally I'm not fond of the UI, but a lot of people do seem to like it.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Some special reason you can't fire up the (admittedly well hidden) console and just type "ftp"?
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
        Some special reason you can't fire up the (admittedly well hidden) console and just type "ftp"?
        Application->utilities->terminal

yup god damn illogical place to have it
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yeah, i've just used the terminal one.

ps - can't they use a web browser do ftp?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, which I'll pass on. To be honest, I've never even touched a mac so I'm clearly not in a good position to help.
            FT.

Comment

Hi Tony,

just to add up to those other comments, "Fetch" is a very popular pay-ware FTP client amongst Mac users, maybe that was the one mentioned ?

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks Maggi.

Well if anyone had bothered to let me know we are now using SFTP with SSH2 on a different port number, I probably wouldn't have needed to bother you guys.

Cheers,

T.
                FT.

Comment

As for cyberduck I installed it on all the Macs when I worked at a university computer lab. Worked great, although I personally would use scp on the command line 90% of the time.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                  X