PDA

View Full Version : An FTP question for MAC OS X users

Fat Tone
12th March 2007, 07:25
Hi

Some one just came to me complaining that their trusty FTP application no longer works since an upgrade to our web servers. They are running OS X and I couldn't catch the name of the FTP client due to a very heavy accent.

What is a good free FTP client for OS X that supports SSL? Cyberduck came top of Google, but I have no idea if it is any good. We are a MS campus, that seems to barely tolerate Macs, let alone support them.

Many thanks,

Tony.

Jessterw
12th March 2007, 14:27
Cyberduck is fairly decent and has always faired well against the commercial Mac FTP apps. Personally I'm not fond of the UI, but a lot of people do seem to like it.

Gurm
12th March 2007, 20:43
Some special reason you can't fire up the (admittedly well hidden) console and just type "ftp"?

Sasq
12th March 2007, 21:03
Some special reason you can't fire up the (admittedly well hidden) console and just type "ftp"?
Application->utilities->terminal

yup god damn illogical place to have it

Kooldino
12th March 2007, 23:13
Yeah, i've just used the terminal one.

ps - can't they use a web browser do ftp?

Fat Tone
13th March 2007, 02:04
Thanks for the replies, which I'll pass on. To be honest, I've never even touched a mac so I'm clearly not in a good position to help.

Maggi
14th March 2007, 09:37
Hi Tony,

just to add up to those other comments, "Fetch" is a very popular pay-ware FTP client amongst Mac users, maybe that was the one mentioned ?

http://www.fetchsoftworks.com/

Fat Tone
15th March 2007, 05:48
Thanks Maggi.

Well if anyone had bothered to let me know we are now using SFTP with SSH2 on a different port number, I probably wouldn't have needed to bother you guys. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

T.

TnT
15th March 2007, 08:05
As for cyberduck I installed it on all the Macs when I worked at a university computer lab. Worked great, although I personally would use scp on the command line 90% of the time.