Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home cinema: optimal cabling and settings

Hello,

My parents have their new configuration: a Philips HD TV (1920x1080, max 1080i, hdmi), a Philips DVD/HDD recorder (hdmi) and a Marantz SR6001 (hdmi).

Currently, the dvd/hdd is set to "hdmi auto", causing this device to upscale. I'd like to try the upscaling in the receiver and the TV. What output format should I set in the dvd/hdd device, so it doesn't do any scaling (pal-bg)? I can set the hdmi output to 720, 576, 480 and some others.

Secondly, the dvd/hdd is connected via hdmi to the receiver and via an rgb scart to the tv. When switching on the tv, it automatically selects the scart input. I can set the tv to hdmi using a macro in the remote control, but I'm wondering if the scart is at all necessary.

Finally, these are the connections:
    out -- type of cable -- in
    set top box -- scart -- tv
    set top box -- scart -- dvd/hdd
    set top box -- optical -- receiver
    dvd/hdd -- scart -- tv
    dvd/hdd -- hdmi -- receiver
    dvd/hdd -- optical -- receiver (for cd playback)
    tv digital audio out -- coax -- receiver
    receiver -- hdmi -- tv

Are there interesting connections I've missed? Or connections that could be done better?

Thanks!

Jorg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

From what I found (googling), I think I should set the dvd recorder to "hdmi 576p" rather than "hdmi auto". That way, it will send a 576p signal (which is the DVD standard for PAL) to the amplifier. I can the choose to have this simply relay the signal (upscaling in the TV), or upscale it to 1080i.

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

connections look good.
      The audiophiles prefer coax/BNC over optical for digital. Although I have not compared the two, I have actually noticed a difference between different types of coax cables used between cd transport/DAC (I honestly didn't think I would notice a difference, but I did!), which leads me to believe that the type of cabling between cd and dac actually does make a noticeable difference. Might be system dependant though, feel free to experiment.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

The set-top box only has an optical connection. The DVD/HDD recorder has both coax and optical; given the large number of cables present behind the devices I opted for optical to minimize EMI interference.

I have been wondering about connecting the set-top box to the amplifier rather than to the TV directly, but it would require an adapter and cables which I don't have at the moment (set top box only has scart outputs, but uses RGB over SCART; so I'd need a SCART to RGB). The only thing I might gain is due to the fact that the upscaling to 1080i is then done in the amplifier rather than in the TV, but I think it won't matter that much.

One more thing I noticed: playing back CDs with JPG foto's yields quite a bad quality, whereas playing back photos directly on the TV (it has a cardreader and an ethernet connection) yields a superb quality. This is despite the fact that the DVD/HDD recorder is using a 1080i signal over HDMI. I suspect that the DVD/HDD recorder is reading photos like any regular DVD player (low quality, probabely 576p) and then upscales the output to 1080i; whereas the TV displays them in full quality.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Working...
        X