Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio subsystem on MotherB. Anyone use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio subsystem on MotherB. Anyone use it?

I recently picked up an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard that lists an audio subsystem by Yamaha. I've also got a sound blaster live PCI sound card. Does this subsystem have any use. I've got it disabled now, but wondered if any of you out there had any idea if they could be used in conjunction with each other, how it would help/detract from sound quality and performance, or even just the point of having a "sub"system.

Anyone anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

------------------
    JÊÐî /'\å§tå
    -“Artificial Intelligence has got nothing on Natural Stupidity!”
    JÊÐî /'\å§tå
    -“Artificial Intelligence is no match to Natural Stupidity!”

The main advantage of the on-board audio is that it frees up a PCI slot. My system has the SB/Ensoniq AudioPCI chip on board. Not too shabby, but I decided to drop in a SB Live instead.
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

The only reason you'd want both active would be if you were doing DJing. You can run two instances of WinAmp, each going to a different sound card, and then plug them both into a mixing board. Other than that, there's no real reason to have both active.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

the Yamaha chipset is supposed to be very good, connected to PCI bus according to my brother's Dell. Sound is only as good as your speakers.
        abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
        g400 max-
        256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
        dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
        Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
        X