More stupid modem problems.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More stupid modem problems.....

I just finished moving to a new state, and unfortunately I had to leave my cable modem behind. I'm now reduced to the level of using an ancient dialup connection.

Fortunately I still have my old USR Sportster Voice X2 Internal modem kicking around. The modem installs without difficulty, and will dial up and connect to my ISP without difficulty. The only problem, is that my ISP does not support X2, only V.90 or K56Flex, so I'm currently limited to 33.6K.

Going to the USR (now 3Com) website, I found that there is an upgrade for my old modem which should upgrade it to the V.90 standard. I go through, and install the new modem drivers as directed. Now when I try to connect to the internet, the modem dials, but then gives me an error saying the remote computer is not responding.

Upon switching back to the default Windows drivers for the modem, I am again able to connect to my ISP without difficulty.

I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions on how to make the modem work with the updated drivers?

Either try to dial in with 2 to 3 comma's behind the number, or try to insert an init-string like AT&F on the init-line of the modem.

BTW, you did FLASH the modem to V.90 capability?? It's not only drivers in Windows that the modem needs, there should be a seperate file to flash your modem's BIOS to V.90 capability.

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh, and check if your ISP uses different internet options for dialing in at V.90

I for one had to disable WINS to get onto the internet (under TCP/IP)
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thank you to those that responded.

I reinstalled the drivers, and got them working finally. I can't believe how stupid I am....the problem was in the dial-up networking for my ISP. The connection was still looking for the old Windows drivers, even though the modem was running off of USR drivers. I changed the connection to use the new USR drivers, and everything worked fine.

It just shows how long it's been since I've worked with dialups.

I checked out the 3Com website again, and there does not appear to be any ROM flash upgrades available for the modem which is very strange, as I thought there would be too. Supposedly the new drivers are enough to enable V.90, but who knows?

Comment

Maybe that's because both X2 and 56kflex are integrated in the V.90 protocol.

Never mind... you got it working...

Hope I helped a little ....

Jorden
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
          X