Now WHY didn’t I think of that?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now WHY didn’t I think of that?!

This will top most (if not all) of the gadgets on every man priority list!

Refrigerator will toss you can of beer

When John Cornwell graduated from Duke University last year, he landed a job as software engineer in Atlanta but soon found himself longing for his college lifestyle. So the engineering graduate built himself a reminder of life on campus: a refrigerator that can toss a can of beer to his couch with the click of a remote control.

"I conceived it right after I got out," said Cornwell, a May 2006 graduate from Huntington, N.Y. "I missed the college scene. It embodies the college spirit that I didn't want to let go of."

It took the 22-year-old Cornwell about 150 hours and $400 in parts to modify a mini-fridge common to many college dorm rooms into the beer-tossing contraption, which can launch 10 cans of beer from its magazine before needing a reload.

With a click of the remote, fashioned from a car's keyless entry device, a small elevator inside the refrigerator lifts a beer can through a hole and loads it into the fridge's catapult arm. A second click fires the device, tossing the beer up to 20 feet — "far enough to get to the couch," he said.

Is there a foam explosion when the can is opened? Not if the recipient uses "soft hands" to cradle the can when caught, Cornwell said.

In developing his beer catapult, Cornwell said he dented a few walls and came close to accidentally throwing a can through his television. He's since fine-tuned the machine to land a beer where he usually sits at home, on what he called "a right-angle couch system."

For now, the machine throws only cans, although Cornwell has thought about making a version that can throw a bottle. The most beer he has run through the machine was at a party, when he launched a couple of 24-can cases.

"I did launch a lot watching the Super Bowl," he said. "My friends are the reason I built it. I told them about the idea and hyped it so much and I had to go through with it."

A video featuring the device is a hit on the Internet, where more than 600,000 people have watched it at metacafe.com, earning Cornwell more than $3,000 from the Web site.

Cornwell said he has talked to a brewing company about the machine, but right now only one exists. Asked if he might start building some for sale, he said: "I'm keeping that option open, depending on interest."

When Cornwell was a student at Duke — an elite, private university in Durham — he participated in the engineering school's robotic basketball contests, said mechanical engineering Professor Bob Kielb. He said students tried to build a robot that could retrieve a pingpong ball and toss it into a small hoop.

"He always did well in it," Kielb said. "He came up with completely unique ideas."

___

On the Net:

Cornwell's Web Site: http://www.duke.edu/jwc13/index.html%emph_off

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Now if they could modify one to use a tube system so I could get one delivered straight to my desk
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
      Now if they could modify one to use a tube system so I could get one delivered straight to my desk

Or just get one like THIS...

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

But it doesn't pull the ring off the can for you
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hmm, and a small fridge next to where you are sitting is how hard to do?

Comment

Not such a good idea when your on your 4th or 5th. I'm not a big fan of getting a can of beer on the noggin!
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              Are you sure you want it to do that before it throws the can to you?
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post

ROTFLMAO
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  That would be how beer shampoo was invented
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

TOWB
                    Tube launched Optically tracked Wire guided Beer

Just have the guide wire pull off the tab just before landing.

PS Somebody else build it please.
                    PPS The vid link is down.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X