Stupid modem problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid modem problems

Ok guys this one is driving me nuts. At home I have two computers sharing the same phone line to dial out to the internet. The one system is a P3-500 with a 3com 56k modem and my computer is a Celeron 300A @ 464 with a old Diamond 56K modem flashed to the lastest specs. The problem I have is when ever I'm on the internet with my computer and when ever my father powers up or shuts down his P3..I ALWAYS lose my connection..even though his modem isn't dialed up! Short of dissconnecting him from the phone line is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Scott

------------------
    Celeron300A@464 abit BH6 mobo, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Hi Scott,

I'd like to know what kind of phone line you have, and how these two lines are connected. If your (or your father's) line isn't properly extended (there are some rules on how to extend a phone line) if the two phone-lines are on one connector you may have problems when one modem is initializing on this line, sending signals and in this process disconnecting yours. I would recommend a good switch-box in this case. A good electronics shop can help you find what's best suitable. (I do suspect your phone-line connection is the problem here, if not, you might call your phone-company to ask to check the lines)

Ramon

Comment

The odd thing is that this didn't happen till the new system was put in a few months ago. His older P233 with a 56K modem in it didn't do this..I guess its something to do with the newer 3com one he has. I'll have to ask about how he wired up the phone line.

Scott
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Are you using a proxy (or is your dad)??
        Are you using some sort of firewall (even without a network)
        Is any of you using Win NT??

Either of the above does make a change...
        Maybe even if both of you are using Win98FE or SE. Even though the modem will not be dialing up, it's still ON, thus creating a feedback on the line.

If you've got your PC installed as "dialing up immediately" on Win-power-up, you might be using the phoneline, but if the second PC is coming "online" (so to say), it checks if the modem is there, and can give a feedback down the phoneline, checking if it's connected to the wallsocket.

The best thing to override this is as you say, unplugging your dad's PC, or take your own phone-line, or if worst comes to worst, make your dad's PC server, install WIn98SE on it and share one modem...

Although something like Wingate should stop this behaviour (I think), or you hide behind a firewall or proxy-server.

Jorden.

------------------
        I don't even know how to spell Grum err Murg err Grmrrrrrrrr.
        ------------
        I GOT a very speedy, working G400 32Mb DH!!! (Delivered in an Asus AGP-V3800 16Mb box)
        ------------
        Holly, Love and Tiberian Sun Rules !!
        ------------

-I want my 1120 posts back-

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
        X