Shared Network HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Network HDD

Does anyone know of any good, reasonably priced standalone network hard drives that I can just plug in and share?

Western Digital just replaced their NetCenter line with a World Book line.

They both do what you want. You might be able to find a clearance deal on a NetCenter.

The NetCenter is 10/100Base-T Ethernet and the World Book is 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet.

I think that Maxtor/Seagate has an equivalent model, but I'm not positive.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I read that the NetCenter runs on linux. I remember reading a review from a guy who figured out (I think by examining the firmware) that it wasn't running the latest release and wondering how hard it would be to update by manually recreating a firmware image.

Note that I had issue with the Netcenter locking up when used for BT. The solution was to turn off preallocating space in the BT client. WD tech support was less than useless.
    Last edited by schmosef; 7 March 2007, 14:09.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Linksys NSLU2 - you plug a USB harddrive into it. It's cheap, runs Linux and can be modified to run a media server (it can even be overclocked ).
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          Linksys NSLU2 - you plug a USB harddrive into it. It's cheap, runs Linux and can be modified to run a media server (it can even be overclocked ).

That's the router, right? I heard about that.

Comment

The linksys NSLU2 is a NAS device that allows you to access USB HDDs over a network. It's quite popular because of its hackability.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

ReadyNAS NV RAID5

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 March 2007, 17:43.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X