car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car question

Hello guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I want to change one of my cars, and I am willing to spend about £3000 sterling on it.

I have heard that someone on my staff (who I know well enough to know that she (yes female) is about to sell an old Porche 944, for around 3K. Its a 2.5 Manual (dunno about the colour), with 70K miles, 1985.

Thing is, I like distinctive cars. Not necessarially the fastest.

Its classic insurance (I have a couple of runarounds in the house at the moment) - so cost there are perhaps £180 per year, for 6K miles.

I know the 944 was a bit of a 'hairdressers' car, but that was a long time ago.

WHat do ya think?
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

I was always more of a fan of the 928 in terms of styling, but the 944 was nothing to sneeze at, and as you say they're rare enough now that it's no longer quite as "girly" looking as it once was.

The biggest thing I'd be concerned about with a 1985 Porsche is maintenance. I assume you're already aware of that cost factor?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah - it has been centrally serviced by the N Irish porche dealer for about 15 years. the last few it has only done 6K miles, on a new timeng belt (at 70K (meant to be 60K))....

We have an anual national test here called an MOT, which verifys emissions, safety/integrety etc, brakes and lights and such and i understand that it is going for its test week after next.....

the girl who owns it is in her 50's and I dont think she is a racer - she has no kids to be a problem.....

This is not a baby I would work on myself..... My mechanic skills stopped with cars made in the mid 70's..... with the Mini (I fully rebuilt 2 over the yars)....

Comment

/me waiting for the inevitable "gas guzzler" comment ...
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I went looking after Jamm's comment.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Porsche_944_coupe__Review_5443762 - has some useful pointers.

Up to 25MPG...yes a bit of a gas guzzler, but he's not going to do many miles in it.
          FT.

Comment

I take the bus to work most days now - £3 per day return, whereas its £8 to pay just to park near my office (never mind the cost of the petrol!!!! there is a bus lane most of the way to my home, meaning that the bus saves me 20 minutes on the home bound trip anyway.....

for the last 2 years I averaged 5 K per year in my main car (the family runabout (a boring volvo V50) did a little more, but not much), and probably less the 2 years before that.

I rekon that its an incredibly 'eco friendly' car - by virtue of the fact that its been around for 22 years, and the vast majority of the evironmental damage done by cars is the damage caused by production of the thing in the first place!

Thanks for the link!

I think I will get it if it passess its MOT (or even if it fails on something v minor)....

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
              hey i like it!!
              as long as its not pink or something

post some pics!

Thats why they invented the spray can.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Working...
              X