Nintendo DS Lite memory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo DS Lite memory ?

I have to buy a DS Lite for my brother and can't find the maximum memory it supports without using mods. I would like to get him a 2GB micro SD card since they're cheap enough, but I don't know if it works, the highest reference I found was for 1GB.

This is what I and some of my employees have: http://www.kicktrading.ca/g6flash-c-30.html

There's newer stuff but this is very reliable.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

But why?
      What can you do with those things?
      ChooChoo just turns hers on and plays games.
      What else could she do with it?
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well you can DOWNLOAD games. *ahem* Not legally of course.

I use a SuperCard, it takes up to 2GB CF. I think it's more a matter of the device, not the DS itself. The DS only supports like 256MB or whatever the biggest size of a real game is.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

You can use them to dump the roms of several games that you own onto one memory device.

And use that device to play the games without having to lug around all those individual game cards and cartridges.

Also, for those people who are not technically inclinded enough to dump their own games, some helpful people have made it easy to download the rom files for your games from the interweb.

For people who are super technically inclined these devices enable homebrew game development and distribution.

Without having investigated the issue too carefully, I believe that the size limit has to do with FAT table limitations (thank you Bill Gates--according to a book I once read, I think it was called Hard Drive, Bill Gates himself wrote the FAT file system. At the time it was only supposed to be used for floppy disks but due to time constraints, got implemented for hard drives too).
          Last edited by schmosef; 7 March 2007, 11:08.

Comment

I went on and ordered a DS Lite Black and a 1GB Kingston mini SD.
            I'm not entirely sure what he wants it for, he's a Sudoku freak, he mentioned something about this, but then again he already has a PDA he could run that on. Some other things he was attracted by were the battery time (12h) and dual screen setup.

Guess 1GB should be enough for now, when he'll want more I will look into those mods, already found a store that sells them here.
            Thanks for the info guys

Comment

I can think of a use for that already.
              ChooChoo hasn't lost any game chips.
              But it would sure be easy for a six year old to do.
              At $30 a pop, way too easy.

I already do that with her DVDs.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

A site with good info on these devices is GBAdev.org. Their forum is very active and iirc, they even have a section to review the various merchants.

Note that they are a strictly above board homebrew site and you will get flamed/banned if you ask questions about piracy. Legitimate backups are fair game to ask about though.

Comment

Bah, seems easier finding the mods than finding a black DS Lite on stock...

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                    Without having investigated the issue too carefully, I believe that the size limit has to do with FAT table limitations (thank you Bill Gates--according to a book I once read, I think it was called Hard Drive, Bill Gates himself wrote the FAT file system. At the time it was only supposed to be used for floppy disks but due to time constraints, got implemented for hard drives too).
                    Billy boy didn't write it, he bought it (Okay, he's probably responsible for it getting used on hdd's )
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                    X