Heaviest pomelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaviest pomelo

Picked a pomelo yesterday at 2,430 g. Heaviest ever from my pomelo tree.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Ahhh....a big shaddock fruit. Yummy

For those who don't know either; think in terms of a large yellow/orange/greenish citrus with a sweet grapefruit-ish flavor.

Some call the grapefruit a shaddock too, but they're actually an orange/shaddock hybrid.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 March 2007, 08:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I love those. This one is huge!!!

Brian, you got the weight, how about the diameter?

Last edited by ND66; 6 March 2007, 09:29.
      Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Too late to measure it! I would guestimate that it was ~25-28 cm diameter across and a bit over 30 cm tall. I still have a dozen or so on the tree, but I guess thay are mostly in the range 1.5-2 kg each.

Last year I had a lemon at about 850 g, but no monster ones this year. Grapefruits average about 900 g each. So far, I have about 20 l of grapefruit juice in the freezer and I've picked only 1/3 of the crop. Mandores had an estimated 250 fruit on a single tree, averaging 300 g each. Clementines are nearly finished now, but we have each averaged 2/day since mid-November, so approaching 500 fruit on a single tree. We are only just tackling the oranges, with two trees, one Merlin, one Valencia, with enough fruit until well past Easter. We give away vast quantities to neighbours. The one tree that has given just one single fruit this year was our mandarine, but this is a once every other year tree.

The nectarine, peach and apricot trees are just coming into full blossom while the fig trees are just coming into leaf.

Comment

A small one from this year's crop, only 1,630 g.

This year has not been good for citrus as we had a cold snap during blossom time and there were fewer bees around. Clementines last year did us from November to April at 2 or 3 each per day + giving them away to all and sundry; this year, a round dozen altogether. Merlin oranges and grapefruit only slightly below average but Jaffa oranges literally zero. Mandarines, which blossomed later, are OK, above average, but mandores are about 10% of average. The pomelos are average, as they have a long flowering season.
          Attached Files

Comment

I had a couple of big, thick skinned, California navel oranges today. Chilled to about 35 F (~2 C), of course. No better tasting fruit exists.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X