Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Port channeling supported on current mobos with dual nics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port channeling supported on current mobos with dual nics?

I noticed that a lot of the new mobos have dual gig nics. I even notice done board with quad nics! Does anybody know if these boards support port channeling(link aggregation or 802.3ad)? I have a switch that supports it and it would be nice to set this up. I doubt anybody at home is soing this, but maybe someone at work is doing this? Thoughts?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Some of the higher end nVidia ones do. Don't know about the others. nVidia calls it DualNet:

Real-time ray tracing, AI-powered DLSS 2.0, and programmable shading.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks Jamm.

After doing some digging, it looks like all Marvell Yukon(Asus uses Marvell) nics support link aggregation(802.3ad). On Marvell's website, you can download a control panel to support vlans and link aggregation, so it looks like it can be done.

This would be cool for me as my switch supports link aggregation and I could run dual nics to it. This would allow me to utilize thee full bandwidth on one of my nics for my NAS while the other nic could be used for everything else. assuming the software has that kind of granularity. even load balanced or some kind of round robin based on mac address would be fine.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
        Thanks Jamm.

After doing some digging, it looks like all Marvell Yukon(Asus uses Marvell) nics support link aggregation(802.3ad). On Marvell's website, you can download a control panel to support vlans and link aggregation, so it looks like it can be done.

This would be cool for me as my switch supports link aggregation and I could run dual nics to it. This would allow me to utilize thee full bandwidth on one of my nics for my NAS while the other nic could be used for everything else. assuming the software has that kind of granularity. even load balanced or some kind of round robin based on mac address would be fine.

Oh sure. Show off all the cool networking equipment you get for next to nothing What kind of switch to you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          Oh sure. Show off all the cool networking equipment you get for next to nothing What kind of switch to you have?
          Actually, we get no Linksys discounts anymore because of the cut throat competition

Cisco equipment I get a huge discount but it's still 10x more expensive for the cheapest Cisco device than it is to just buy the best thing at Fry's or wherever. Plus, cisco equipment is LOUD!

So I ended up buying a Linksys SRW2008. It's an 8-port non-blocking switch that supports tons of features, more than I will ever use. It was only ~$200 from Amazon. I still connect my WRT54G to it for wifi and WAN.

Comment

Our Tyan Thunder N3600R dual Opteron skt. F rig has a Marvell PHY 88E1121 dual-gigabit chipset.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 March 2007, 16:07.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Very nice. That's a sweet little switch. I would have gone with this little job, but I don't have to be biased

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Jammrock

Comment

Looks like a nice switch. It also looks like it has most things my switch has but for ~$40 cheaper.

No bias, it's just easier to get support and updates that you may not have access to

Comment

Working...
                X