Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the stupidest thing you did with tech support????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the stupidest thing you did with tech support????

Well this my story...I just got done putting together my current Computer back last november. I brought it home from work and was happy as hell to try out the Tv tuner feature on the Marvel card I have. I plug in the cable then hook up the sound inputs/outputs and started up the tuner software. I get picture but no sound...I try everything in the book to get to work...I traded emails with matrox tech support for a couple weeks trying to figure it out and to see if there was a conflict with the SB live card and the Marvel.

Fast foward a couple weeks...my floppy dies on my computer..I pull everything out and reconnect everthing, but I took a closer look at the marvel sheet on how to sent it up to the sound card....then I notice that the input gotos to the output jack and the output goes to the input jack...problem sloved...and I felt like an idiot after this ..

Scott

------------------
    Celeron300A@464 abit BH6 mobo, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I called up tech support and asked them if their refrigerator was running. =P

Comment

The infamous which-part-of-the-cable-does-the-floppy-plug-into problem.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

earthlink tech support.

one night my system just stuped connecting to the net. it would refuse to log on.

i tested the modem ect.. called tech support.
        after 60min of extracting files and checking settings we were just about to give up. then the tech guy says. this is stupid but works some times. go and reenter you username (even though it looks fine.

bam connected to the net no problems. (all i had to do was retype in my dam name.

------------------
        I think I need help. I'm not sure what do you think, do I need help?
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

This is one of the silliest that happened when I was on the receiving end of the call (I do tech support for about 550+ employees, 60+ UNIX systems, and an ungodly number of PCs)

Anyway, I was trying to get the client to shut down their unix system, and asked them to type in the 'who' command to find out who was on the system. This person came right back dead-serious and said "H-O-E Right?". I dropped the phone, hit mute, and busted out laughing. After a good 30 seconds of this, I got back on the phone, and said that I had swallowed a cough drop (I was close to hacking up a lung at that point) the wrong way, and proceeded to instruct this person on how to spell 'WHO'.

Some people should never sit behind the keyboard!

Guyv
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

ROTFLMAO !!!

A former 'so called' colleague of mine was painting for hours in Photoshop ...
            He decided to take a lunchbreak, hence he quitted Photoshop ...
            I was quite amused that he denied to save the changes he made and in the moment the application was gone, he came up with the question: ...drumroll, please ...

Is there any 'un-quit-option' ???

... and he was more than serious with that question !!!

LOL

Non-Techs at its best ...
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

My brother told me this, he once got a complaint about the dust cover for the keyboard, this moron tried to type while the cover was still on.

Comment

Guyver was this guy dutch? This kinda would make sence, sort of.

Comment

how would like to show/ tell some one how to cut and paste/copy files from a floppy to hard drive 4 times (with in the span of a week) includeing giveing the "nice person" who is your boss a video on how to use windows. and still not have the moron able to do the simplest winblows comand.

------------------
                  I think I need help. I'm not sure what do you think, do I need help?
                  msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                  it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Nah, The "GAL" wasn't dutch. She worked in a small office close to an Indian reservation in South Dakota.

Her name for the UNIX system (UNIX was too hard to remember) was "The Main Brain".... <lol>

Guyv
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950
                    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

maybe their UNIX system was a UNIQUE system?? A Cherokee warrior hooked on a PC??

Jorden, Dutch... spelling w.h.errrr what??
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

One of our VPs got a brand new Toshiba laptop last year, complete with docking station, external KB/Mouse, and all that. We set it all up for her on a Friday. On Monday she called us complaining about how heavy it was to carry home. Seems she was carrying everything home with her.

After explaining that she only had to carry the laptop itself home made her very happy.

On tuesday she called again, saying it was no longer working at all. It seems this time, she left the laptop at home, assuming the docking station with it's keyboard, mouse, and monitor would work without it.

True story, really.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I think you can all appreciate this web site.

I used to work for an ISP based locally in a large city in CA (will remain nameless). Every day we found no end to the incredibly stupid and ignorant people that existed outside of our cubicles. Most of us started worrying about the future of the human race entirely. So to prove we weren't the crazy ones, we started recording the better of our calls and posting them on the web. You can also find a collection of calls from AOL's tech support line, which are even funnier. Check it out at http://www.antix.org/funstuff.html

I think you'll be pleased. Oh and BTW, I now work for the phone company and learned that computers are not the only thing people are stupid with...

------------------
                          JÊÐî /'\å§tå
                          -“Artificial Intelligence has got nothing on Natural Stupidity!”

[This message has been edited by jedimasta (edited 09-13-1999).]
                          JÊÐî /'\å§tå
                          -“Artificial Intelligence is no match to Natural Stupidity!”

Comment

Speak of the devil himself, a call I took shortly after I posted that last message.

"This is ____ with ____ Telephone, I can help you"
                            "Yes my husband is away in europe and I think I've messed up my cable box"
                            "I'm sorry Ma'am, this is the phone company I can't help you with your cable box"
                            "I thought since the phone cord runs close to the box you could help me"

God help us all.

------------------
                            JÊÐî /'\å§tå
                            -“Artificial Intelligence has got nothing on Natural Stupidity!”
                            JÊÐî /'\å§tå
                            -“Artificial Intelligence is no match to Natural Stupidity!”

Comment

Working...
                            X