Installing Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows XP

Im trying to install Windows XP on a computer with a SATA hardrive however it doesn't have floppy disk drive, now the question is. Is there any way to install scsi drivers without the floppy disk, or will I need to dig out a floppy disk from somewhere :/

Thank you for your advice.
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

take a look at this page : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...173&hl=Si3112r

or this: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks for the info Technoid, looked too complicated just got an old floppy disk drive
      Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Still have an floppy drive just for that
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

BTW, are there any SATA controllers (especially of the flavours used on PCI cards) which work "out of the box"? I'm mostly interested in situation on Win2k3, not XP SP2...

Comment

Some SATA controllers enumerate in the BIOS and hence ... work. I'm really surprised at how few do, truth be known.

nForce2 used Silicon Image, which didn't. nForce3 uses nVidia, which do. I'm sure others do as well.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

A Dell server we have (since almost 2 years now!) has an interesting bios feature. With it, you can set the front USB port to behave as a floppy drive when a storage device is inserted. Prior to an installation, it suffices to do so, and just plug in a USB stick with the drivers. Any call to A: is diverted to this USB memory.

Great, and it doesn't need a floppy. But it makes me wonder why this particular server still came with a floppy in its default configuration.

This feature should be standard on all mainboards.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Had so much hassle with that sata installation. Went home to get a floppy drive and forgot the cable, had to go back again. Bought a floppy disk on the way which as it happens got corrupt, had to go back to the shop to get another one all in a pissi*** rain.

Well only have myself to blame for the first part

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                  A Dell server we have (since almost 2 years now!) has an interesting bios feature. With it, you can set the front USB port to behave as a floppy drive when a storage device is inserted. Prior to an installation, it suffices to do so, and just plug in a USB stick with the drivers. Any call to A: is diverted to this USB memory.

Great, and it doesn't need a floppy. But it makes me wonder why this particular server still came with a floppy in its default configuration.

This feature should be standard on all mainboards.

Jörg

Awesome feature indeed ...

Since we don't have that option, we took the route of actually buying an USB floppy, only to find out that WinXP doesn't support it fully

I had hooked up the USB floppy, booted from XP's installation CD and hit F6 to add the drivers for a SATA RAID controller.

the installation asked me to
                  "please insert driver disk into drive a:"
                  did that, hit enter and the drivers got loaded

I declined to add further drivers and setup a partition on the RAID to install WinXP

formatting went well and installation proceeded

until it came to copying the driver files onto HDD
                  to my surprise, it was still inserted
                  took it out, put it back in, hit enter to load the driver ...
                  unplugged the USB floppy drive, reconnected it and hit enter

no matter what I tried that mofo kept telling me to

not that it hadn't loaded those drivers and used them already for installing onto the HDDs that were connected to that controller ...

Ever since, we keep an ordinary floppy drive just for the purpose of adding drivers to support the needed HDD controllers that are not included into WinXP SP2

I also tried to slip stream those drivers into the installation CD, but that failed as well, most likely due to the drivers not being MSWHQL certified ...

Cheers,
                  Maggi
                  Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi View Post
                    Since we don't have that option, we took the route of actually buying an USB floppy, only to find out that WinXP doesn't support it fully
                    Wouldn't this be solved by enabling "legacy USB support" and "USB SCSI subclass devices support" in the BIOS?

Or you should first install drivers for the USB floppy... Aren't recursive problems fun?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Most of the time (maybe all the time) its not really necessary to load any drivers. Just disable the SATA Raid in the bios and it works just like that. Its really the RAID controller that is causing the installation problems.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                        Wouldn't this be solved by enabling "legacy USB support" and "USB SCSI subclass devices support" in the BIOS?

Or you should first install drivers for the USB floppy... Aren't recursive problems fun?

Jörg
                        I'm not 100% certain, but I think I had to use those options anyways for making the USB floppy accessible for the XP installation in first place

what beats me is that fact that the installer used the floppy and loaded the drivers once at the very beginning, let me use those drivers for setting up the install partition but then asks for exactyl those drivers again for copying them onto harddisk and blatantly fails to access the USB floppy for a 2nd time

Sometimes I just hate MS for such stunts.

Thanx for the idea though.
                        Maggi
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Just to be clear on what I posted earlier, XP will install fine with SATA drives as long as the RAID controller is disabled. I have done it many times myself. Leave the SATA controller enabled in the bios and disable RAID.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                            Some SATA controllers enumerate in the BIOS and hence ... work. I'm really surprised at how few do, truth be known.

nForce2 used Silicon Image, which didn't. nForce3 uses nVidia, which do. I'm sure others do as well.

Thinking about getting new HDD (one 80GB died, so only 80GB left...), but it would be definatelly SATA (could be used in potentiall new machine). But the only SATA PCI cards are Via (not installing any drivers from them...) or...Silicon Image :/

Comment

Working...
                            X