Stupid networking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid networking question

I was working on a WinNT box in my office a couple days ago. It was lacking the proper video driver CD, so I went out and downloaded from matrox on my Win98 machine. I went to the NT machine and put it on our local work group using netbeui as the protocal so they could talk to each other. This is what tripped me out...the NT box could read my win98 machine even though it was formated as FAT32 and my 98 machine could read the NTFS partion on the NT drive. How is this so? I figure it has to do something with the one of the OSI levels but which one?

Scott

------------------
    Celeron300A@464 abit BH6 mobo, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Hi Scott,

a.f.a.i.k. there are tools called FAT32NT_read-write (39$) and NTFS-DOS or something similar ...

goto www.winfiles.com and search in the utilities ... nothing secret so far.

------------------
    CU,
    Maggi
    Millenium G400 32MB DH

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hi Maggi,

Did you misread his post?

The thing is that in Microsoft Networking peers send service requests to each other. Those could be like "send me a directory listing of your c:\". Now the asked peer does as it's told and sends the list.
      So the point is that the list is send, not any data from HDD.

I hope that clears thing out.

_
      B

Comment

Nothing unusual. This is how networks have always worked.
        Read up on the OSI layer you mention. You'll then learn that the application layer (i.e. Explorer or games or whatever) talks through the other layers (e.g. transport, which is the NetBEUI) and ends up at the hardware layer (the card) with the data (be it files, directory listing or whatever) at little packets of data. Then at the other end, goes back up through all the layers and ends up at the application layer in an understandable format.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Well it's not that straight forward since no excisting protocol stack is based on ISO OSI model.
          Like you said that "transport, which is the NetBEUI" is not true, while it has presentation layer inside of it too. And "hardware layer" you mention (physical layer in OSI), doesn't actually know anything about "little packets of data" while it only understands electrical signals that it transforms into bits. Data link layer is the lowermost that knows of packets.

This didn't have much to do with the original question, but set me straight if I got it wrong.

_
          B

Comment

You must be corrected, You typed 'ISO OSI', instead of 'ISO OSI' lol
            abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
            g400 max-
            256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
            dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
            Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Can't follow you..

_
              B

Comment

You don't have to get into that much detail to explain it. When a win98 machine is connected to NT to read files, it's the NT machine that does the reading from the hard drive, and then sends those files over the network. How do you think you can get html off of unix web servers
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                X