Quick question on hard drive defraging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on hard drive defraging

What prompts w98 to not move[when diplayed you see a white box with a small red box in the corner] certain files when you defragment the hard drive? What's special about these files?

A lot of those unmovable files are your swap file too. I only get those in my C: partition and that is where I have my swap file.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Those files are read-only. Just uncheck the read-only tag and they will be moved as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.
        Hunsow-If I wanted to move them( is there any reason to?) how would I
        find out which files they are so I could
        uncheck read only?

Comment

Try Norton Speed Disk, it's ways faster and moves everything, even your swapfile. It moves your files by criterias you can precisely specify.

Helmchen

Comment

Just go to DOS (real DOS not a DOS box) and be sure to be in path C:\ then execute "c:\windows\command\attrib -r /s".

Comment

Thanks to all.

Comment

To get into true DOS when the computer boots up starting hitting the F8 key until you get the Win9x boot menu and you can select Command Prompt only. This loads DOS without ever getting into Windows.
                Supposedly you are supposed to hit the F8 key right before Win9x boots and that gives you the prompt but most people cannot do it in time.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If you've got a logo instead of bios screen, it gets tough to time F8.

Those red boxes may not be many files, but one long file that's not stored contiguously.
                  If you have Norton, check 'optimize swap file' or similar option to clean that up, too.
                  abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                  g400 max-
                  256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                  dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                  Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

That is why I recommend tapping the F8 key frantically as soon as your computer finishes counting your RAM.

Comment

Pressing F5 (or shift+F5) gets you into DOS instantly...
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

In win98 you can also hold down ctrl to get into the startup menu.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                        X