OC cel 400 to 450 and system crawls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC cel 400 to 450 and system crawls

If anyone can help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a cel 400 that I want to run at 450. This is not a huge leap, and I don't expect any problems with the cpu.

What is a problem, is that as soon as I up the FSB to 75, the system begins to crawl. It take about 5 minutes to get into win98, and once inside everything is horribly slow as the HD is contantly being accessed. If I boot into safe mode, everything seems fine.

The board is an ASUS P2B, with a G200 (no oc there), sound card, modem and PC100 ram. The hard drive is a Maxtor 6.4 Gig. I couldn't find any conflicts while the system was oc'd. DMA was still active, and so was AGPx2.

Any ideas?

Perhaps it's the hd. My IBM DHEA 6.4 doesn't like a OCed PCI, while my IBM DTTA 8.4 has no problem.

Helmchen

Comment

Well, if it is the hd then I am pretty much out of luck. The thing I don't understand is why such a huge performance difference between safe and normal mode.

Comment

Safe mode doesn't use IDE mastering. Just slow standard access.

_
        B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 09-09-1999).]

Comment

Disable UDMA in your MoBo bios ...

------------------
          CU,
          Maggi
          Millenium G400 32MB DH
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Is it worth running an OCed system if UDMA must be disabled? And is the inablity to run with UDMA on non-standard FSB settings HD specif.

As Helmchen pointed out, one HD had problems, but the other ran flawlessly. So some HDs don't work with UDMA on OCed systems while others do?

If I have two HDs in the system, can one run with UDMA while the other runs without bus mastering? I am planning on adding a second drive but have no intentions of ditching the current one.

Comment

maybe you shouldn't overclock it
              abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
              g400 max-
              256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
              dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
              Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Not overclock a system? What a silly idea.

Of course you can run one with UDMA, and not the other, but it might be wise to put them on separate IDE channels first.

------------------
                K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.0 w/ 2.2.12, Win98, and too many classes
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X