Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we all please standardise our units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we all please standardise our units?

There are frequently threads on here discussing fuel consumption. mpg means one thing to Americans and another to Brits. It is difficult to make comparisons with ones own experience, and sometimes even to be sure apples are indeed being compared to apples.

It would help greatly if whenever mpg is quoted, the gallon is also defined.

Perhaps even better if we all move over to l/100km?

Thoughts? Agreement?

T.
    FT.

Obviously ( ) I'm voting for l/100km. It's an international standard, and MURC is a international forum. And many of MURCers living in two/three places where gallons are still used are of engineer/etc. flavour, so SI isn't that alien...
    Last edited by Nowhere; 26 February 2007, 07:20.

Comment

All for metric throughout and especially for l/100 km (note the space between the 100 and the km!!!)
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In addition, English words shall be typed-out in their 'proper' form hence forth. That means adding those pesky U's back into our (Americans) 'or' words in many cases.

Football/soccer/ruby shall be referred to by their official 'rules' names; association football, Australian rules football, rugby football, and so on.

Yes, I jest
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
          In addition, English words shall be typed-out in their 'proper' form hence forth. That means adding those pesky U's back into our (Americans) 'or' words in many cases.
          Agreed: that way the spelling will match the pronunciation!

Comment

yes I agree, metric all the way!

Now for spelling sake, here in Canada type..."Tire" not "Tyre" or "colour" not "color"

So what should it be?

Comment

Nothing will be standardized because the old farts in congress won't convert to metric and the retards who standardize the school ciriculum in the US won't change and force congress's hand.
              Last edited by Jammrock; 26 February 2007, 14:08.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I remember as a kid in Elemetary school being told to pay attention to Metric because when I was in High School, it would be the standard.

"I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I agree. Just a question in horse racing does everyone still use furlongs as a description of length? I have no idea how long that is...

I vote for metric. Especially with engineering standards. Drop ANSI go ISO. In the future. It will save lots of money and duplicate parts and having to buy two sets of spanners.

Why are computer screens still in inches, and hard drives?

Comment

You know if I thought in Metric I'd happily write that way. I'd honestly prefer a metric standard here but I don't know if it will ever happen. When I comment in such threads I'm honestly not thinking about 'standards' and just pour out the details in my head anyway. Which happen to be gallons and miles in a US system. My apologies for pissing you guys off but it's how we think over here. I'll TRY and mentally convert but i make no promises
                    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I think of imperial in terms of people. Height / Weight etc. It would feel odd for me to describe a person as being 180 cm.

Comment

Fluff, with monitors and disks it comes down mostly to type/size, not exact size...my 17 inch monitor doesn't have 17 inch vieveable and (as far as I remember from some article on wiki...) 3,5 and 5,25 inch bays in computers actually DON'T have that size, they're just called the closest imperial value to some metric value which is used in specs...

PS. And I OTOH can't even imagine how long the imperial units of lenght/high are...everything is perfectly fine with 180 cm (commonly said "meter eighty" over here (directly translating from the way it is spoken))

edit: apparently it's even more bizzare/complicated:
                        Floppy disk sizes are almost universally referred to in imperial measurements, even in countries where metric is the standard, and even when the size is in fact defined in metric (for instance the 3½-inch floppy which is actually 9 cm).
                        3.5" bays, like their larger counterparts, are named for diskette dimensions; their actual dimensions are 4" wide by 1" high.
                        So...while the "small" drive bay is in fact 4" wide, it is called after 3,5" floppies which were really 9 cm...a mess.

Also some weird stuff with 5,25" bays:
                        Half-height or 5.25" drive bays are approximately 1.75" high by 5.75" wide
                        After meeting in a bar in Boston, Adkisson asked Wang what size he thought the disks should be, and Wang pointed to a napkin and said "about that size". Adkisson took the napkin back to California, found it to be 5¼-inches (13 cm) wide
                        Again named after floppy size...but I'm not sure which is "true" (Google calculator tells me that 5,24" isn't 13 cm...and the word "approximately" also hints something )
                        Last edited by Nowhere; 26 February 2007, 16:26.

Comment

I was wondering when someone would quote grandpa Simson: "My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it".

Oh, in general aviation, fuel consumption is expressed in kilgrams per hour...

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                            Oh, in general aviation, fuel consumption is expressed in kilgrams per hour...
                            Jörg
                            I think we can forgive that. Gallons are a unit of volume, which is temperature dependant. Kilograms is an indication of mass (assuming gravity is constant in your universe). Helicopters still use loads of fuel when hovering and not covering any distance.
                            FT.

Comment

What gets my goat is when systems are mixed willy-nilly. One current unit in the industry I used to work for was µg/in². Preparing for an exhibition in the UK, I needed another panel to back the stand, so I ambled along to the joiner's shop and asked the bloke there what size the white hardboard panels were, to be told 6 feet x 1 metre!

Comment

Working...
                              X