Samsung USB Monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung USB Monitor?

Call me stupid, but how can USB sustain the bandwidth needed to watch a DVD movie?
    A quick (and probably inaccurate) calculation says:
    720 x 480 x 2 (16bit color) x 30 (frames / sec) / 1,000,000 = ~20MB/sec.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Heise online say they've watched a 720p MPEG-4 video on a single-core notebook with 1GB RAM through this USB connection without stutter.

Samsung say they compress the signal and only transmit changes between frames.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I don't want to know what this would mean for a FPS or a RTS game. No graphic card, CPU doing everything in software plus compressing the 'frames'. Riiight.. this new technology is good for grandmas that play cards and use the web for emails.

Comment

As far as bandwidth, USB2, or even FireWire800, are slow dogs compared to DVI. A single-link DVI connection transfers 495 MB/sec (yes, megabytes), dual-link is 990 MB/sec. That's 165MPixel/sec * 3 bytes/pixel for each link, in case anyone wants to check my math.

USB2 has a max cable length of 2 m (I think), I don't recall the DVI cable length spec, but I know there are good extenders for DVI, that can go 100 feet or more.

So what's the use of a USB monitor? Well, I don't know It isn't a bad thing per se, but I don't see a good use for it myself.

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
            I don't want to know what this would mean for a FPS or a RTS game. No graphic card, CPU doing everything in software plus compressing the 'frames'. Riiight.. this new technology is good for grandmas that play cards and use the web for emails.
            target group are business people mainly using office applications (according to the Heise link Az provided)
            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

I hope office applications doesn't mean large spereadshits or the like. When was the last time you tried to use windows with the built in, generic SVGA driver? I think that working high-res and simply dragging a window might bring this thing to its knees. Even worse if you happen to drag a video window. Now try that with 3 monitors connected.

Comment

This is not intended as a primary display; it can't even be used as that. It's not intended for games, and it could certainly be fast enough for large spreadsheets. Dual-Core CPUs should also be fast enough to do basic stuff in software without you noticing anything when using office apps - which this is intended for.

Comment

This could be good for the finance industry too. Will it not eat into Matrox's multimonitor market?

Add a touch screen and could be good for kiosks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
                    Will it not eat into Matrox's multimonitor market?
                    Very probably.

Also great for notebooks that don't have proper monitor out, or for more than two screens on a notebook.

Comment

I see no way of using such for a primary monitor, as it will only work after the driver has loaded, which means you will have an awfull hard time installng an OS without seeing anything on the screen
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I thought HDMI and UDI interfaces were supposed to replace DVI, not USB

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                          I thought HDMI and UDI interfaces were supposed to replace DVI, not USB
                          ^ I'm with stupid.

Comment

^ Ditto...

Weird development, but I do see uses for notebooks: a USB connector is more robust than a VGA or DVI connector when it needs to be plugged and unplugged frequently + extending the desktop could be more automated as plugging in the monitor triggers an event.
                            And even for multi monitor setups that don't need to be performent (i.e. most office environments!). Come to think of it, when you look at the traditional business PC, how many of those support multiple monitors on their video card? This allows for a very easy extension to those machines.

The oddest thing (if I'm not mistaken) is that the display is USB only... Why omit VGA or DVI and not just add the USB?
                            I do have my doubts if the interface is fast enough to handle fast moving objects, but for most uses I don't think there would be issues.
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It won't have USB only. Drivers for it are on a built-in flash drive, so driver installation could be done blind in theory.

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
                              ^ I'm with stupid.
                              That wasn't very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X