Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking fun....

Hi all....

Couple of quickies to ponder over, firstly, when overclocking and every body talks about how heat can cause major problems when overclocking, what is too hot???

I've just bought a BE6 and I'm currently o/c my PII 333 to 416 (103x4) which runs perfectly stable, the CPU temp is usually set at around 38~39C and the system temp goes from around 36C~42C dependant on whats going on in the system (if the V2's are running the heat goes sky high!!). Just wondering...

Also, for all you avid overclockers out there (Maggi, Pauly, you know who you are!) what can you think of that would make my system more stable at higher speeds than 416? I've tried to get it to 450, I get into Windows but as soon as I do anything interesting (I've been using Unreal and HalfLife to do most of my benchmarking, real system stress tests!) it will blow up with a GPF, I've tried changing the voltage from CPU default 2 to 2.05, 2.1 and 2.2, 2.2 seems to make it more stable yet it still crashes, will a further increment of voltage yield any better results (I ask cause I really don't want ot overdo the voltage settings...) If voltage won't kill my CPU I will up it further, I just get a little worried that somethings gonna blow somewhere with too much current flowing through it...

Any ideas folks? I'd love to hear from you all...

Cheers

Lukey
    Lukey
    ========
    PII333@412(4x100+T), 128MB PC100, ABIT BE6, G20016MB+V2SLI, SBLive, 19" Sony GST, 56K USR

"Follow your dreams, you can achieve your goals, I am living proof...beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!"

Besides Fans,Fans,Fans... You might play around with the cache latency setting. I'm at work now but have a file at home where I typed out all the Bios settings for the BX6 rev2 .

Pauly
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Ah!!! I found the blank file....
      home.att.net/~albpm/BX6rev2Bios.txt

at least you can fill in your values to keep track of settings and to compare notes with the reat of us ABIT owners.

Pauly
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Heya Lukey !

1st get rid of that plastic cover that stores too much heat around the CPU.
        (Presuming you're talking about a PII and not a Celery)

2nd add as much fans as you can 'around' the CPU ... make a sandwich

3rd increase the voltage (if needed, up to 2.5V), but be aware that the higher the voltage, the higher the temperature !

Every temperature below 60°C is safe for the hardware, but the lower you get it, the higher the clockability.

My actual Celery300A runs @ 504MHz and ~45°C at heavy CPU load.

Try to get the biggest heatsink available - it has way more surface to connduct the heat away from the CPU.

Need more ?

------------------
        Cheerio,
        Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1010 final
        Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
        128MB 7ns SDRAM
        G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 08-24-1999).]
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Things that commonly overheat when overclocking:

1) The CPU! Even running at 'normal' speed, CPU's get hot. Running them higher than they are supposed to makes them run even hotter. Running them at higher voltages than they are supposed to causes them to produce enough heat to fry steaks on (almost). Any kind of increase in heat causes your CPU to become more and more unstable, which causes crashes, no matter what your core voltage is set at. Solution: There are dozens of CPU cooling solutions ranging from Heatsinks and fans, Peltier coolers, liquid cooled and so forth. Good heatsinks and fans include Tennmax, GlobalWin, Alpha. My personal favorite is Step Thermodynamics. They are a bit more expensive, you have to buy the CPU with the cooler, but they make the best stuff, with the best warranties, on the market. I will add a bunch of links at the end of my post.

2) Video Card. To overclock 90%+ of all Intel CPU's you will need to overclock the the bus speed on the motherboard. At EVERY speed that is not 66 MHz or 100 MHz you are overclocking the AGP bus. By overclocking the AGP, or by overclocking the video chip and RAM, you cause the card to run beyond manufactures specifications, thus producing a lot of heat. Solution: The easiest solutions involve putting a new heatsink/fan combo on you video card chipset (and for the real phreaks, the video memory, too). Once again, Tennmax makes some of the best video coolers around.

3) This one is the rarest, but happens...the Motherboard chipset, more specifically the AGP/BX chipset. Once you break the 100 MHz barrier, the AGP chipset begins working beyond specifications. 'Normally' people can run their motherboards in excess of 133 MHz before the AGP chipset becomes an issue, but sometime, on some motherboards, the AGP chipset will overheat at lower speeds causing a lot of bad data to pass and crashing the motherboard. In some extreme cases people have cooked their motherboard overclocking it (HardOCP anyone?). Solution: There is only 1 company that I know of who makes a different heatsink for BX boards and, you guessed it, Tennmax is it. You can also use their TnT detenator Type 0 cooler on the BX chip, too (that's what I use). The main trouble with cooling the BX/AGP chip is that the Slot CPU heatsink covers part of the BX chip, so you have a serious hiegth restraint. One easier way to help cool the BC chip is to add thermal compoud inbetween the heatsink and the BX chipset (you would be shocked to find out how many motherboard makers do not put any thermal compound on the BX heatsink).

No matter what you do though, you need to make sure you have a good thermal compound connecting your heatsinks and chips. From worse to best for thermal compounds (IMHO): Zinc Oxide, Aluminum Oxide, Silver Oxide, Titanium Oxide and Power Trasistor Thermal Compounds (I have some stuff that won't migrate or break down until 200 degrees C). Make sure you have a good, strong air flow inside the case and that the ambient room tempurature is as low as possible (your high powered beast should be stored in the coldest room in your living quarters).

Links to my favorite overclocker site:

http://www.tennmax.com
          http://www.bxboards.com
          http://www.hardocp.com
          http://www.2cooltek.com
          http://www.3dcool.com
          http://www.step-thermodynamics.com
          http://www.overclockers.com

Jammrock

------------------
          PIII 540, 256 MB SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB HDD, 6x DVD w/ decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 which will be replaced by a Matrox G400, SB Live!
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Cheers for all your help boys, you de greatest!!!

SPeak to ya laters...
            Lukey
            ========
            PII333@412(4x100+T), 128MB PC100, ABIT BE6, G20016MB+V2SLI, SBLive, 19" Sony GST, 56K USR

"Follow your dreams, you can achieve your goals, I am living proof...beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!"

Comment

Lukey, I'm hurt... Here I go to all the effort of getting my PIII-450 to 600Mhz (4.5 * 133FSB) and you forget about me....

Just kidding.

Try and stick to the default voltage as much as possible. I'm running 2.0v on my rig without problems. Look at the latency of your memory. If necessary, replace it with something a little faster. If using a BX6Rev2 stick with the 64MB sticks the 128MB seem to not like higher bus speeds (couldn't go past 129 with 6ns PC100 2x64MB, or 124 with PC133HSDRAM 128MB).

Like everyone else has stated, get the air moving over and around the CPU. Try to plan a good airpath. Just blowing air in the case isn't going to help that much (it does help, but it could also hinder). It needs to have a definite flow so that cool air comes in one (or two) location(s) and warmed air exits in one (or two) location(s). This gives the maximum cooling effect available using just fans.

Going to a peltier rig is another matter entirely, and I have no experience with it (yet! - that will have to wait for my PIII-600 going for 800Mhz! - hopefully within the next 3-4 months)

Hope this helps!

------------------
              Running an ABIT BE6, PIII-450 @ 600Mhz, 128MB (128x1) PC133HSDRAM (running @ 133), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Full Retail, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
              All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
              -------------
              Waiting for my G400Max Very Impatiently, Having already maxed system performance to give it a good home.....

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
              - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
              - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950
              - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Hey Guyver, sorry man, didn't mean to forget ya!!

Yeah, the airflow in my case is great, you can feel it everywhere with the lid off and I'm certain that it provides enough... What is not happening is the hot air being expelled properley, I have one 'exhaust port" as it were, just above the cpu with two 486 fans pumping hot air awaay from the CPU, but my main problem is the case temperature is too high, I know what I need to do, there is space for about three 486 fans along the back of the case which I can use to blow hot air out of..(I think having the V2SLI setup is the main cause of my probs, those bitches could keep a tribe of villagers in Alaska happy.. So I need to install them to see what goes...

I have to change the voltage if I'm going over 400 (it runs like a dream, no problems whatsoever) but 450 is a prob, but I think it's definitley too much heat rising up from the V2's that make it go bang..(from an initial cold boot, i.e. the computer has been unused all day, I can run it at 450 for about ten minuites running the Unreal timedemo, then it will GPF) if ou try it again straight after it will fall over virtually straight away... ive it a chance to cool and it will run for a little...

I'm trying to find the latest version of Rain to see if that will help... I'll be back once I get these damn fans installed....

Cheers guys...
                Lukey
                ========

Comment

Hey Guys,

Guyver, what kind of cooling do have on your P3 ????? I've been considering an Alpha but am open to suggestions. I'd go for a Peltier but don't have room for the extra power supply needed for most Peltier systems.

Paul

Comment

Darn, Guyver you got one sweet processor there, if it will run at 600MHz at 2.0V.

If you were from Texas you could combine ("You + ain't" = Y'aint) As in... Y'aint going to believe this... That's a real word there...heheheh

Paul

Comment

I got a P2-450 (i gotta change my profile) and I got the Tennmax p3tf cooler for it since it works for the secc2 cartridge. However, before I changed the heatsink I was able to get 504mhz. After installing the heatsink when I try to get to 504mhz, during boot a message says "Unable to find reg. " ir something....anyone know why?
                      hi

Comment

Paul,

You ain't (I know it really isn't a word - but I still use it) gonna believe this, but I'm using the stock OEM cooler. The fan has a nice little INTEL sticker attached to it.

However, I do have a fan I stole off of a PC Power & Cooling AMD K6 CPU cooler mounted to plastic (486) mobo standoffs sitting on top of my G200 blowing air through the PIII's channel (plastic channel wrapping around the heat sync. Someday I'll by a decent digital camera and get some pics.

Also - check out the squirrel cage blowers at Radio shack. They seem to put out a decent amount of air. I'm looking at fabricating a pumped air system for the PIII using PCB piping or somesuch.

Guyv

------------------
                        Running an ABIT BE6, PIII-450 @ 600Mhz, 128MB (128x1) PC133HSDRAM (running @ 133), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Full Retail, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
                        All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
                        -------------
                        Waiting for my G400Max Very Impatiently, Having already maxed system performance to give it a good home.....

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                        - 6.1 Digital Audio
                        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                        - LS120 IDE Floppy
                        - Zip 100 IDE
                        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                        - NEC FE950

Comment

Well, anyone wanna place any bets on what a PIII-600 would do in my system?

Anyone? Anyone?

I think it's gonna happen sooner than later...

Heh-Heh.... - Still waiting for that gursh durned G400Max...
                          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                          - 6.1 Digital Audio
                          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                          - LS120 IDE Floppy
                          - Zip 100 IDE
                          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                          - NEC FE950

Comment

A P3-600, Cool. I have a P3125 Alpha on the way which should help a bit. If it would only cool off down here it would help even more.

Hey Paradox, any luck getting it to run yet???

Paul

Comment

Nope, but while I was changing the heatsink, a little white fan connector on my Vanilla G400 caught my eye....

------------------
                              Pentium II 450mhz (@464 4.5*103) 256PC100 Ram, 10gig WD, Vanilla G400 32mb(max?), Diamond MX300

hi

Comment

Working...
                              X