• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paczki's !!

I'll take a dozen each of lemon, creme and cherry please

Article....

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Mmmmmmm
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

note the ingrediants...

1-100% sugar

Comment

Great for high (all?) carb diets
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I don't get it...how it became Fat Tuesday over there? It was always and still is thursday (previous one to be exact). Some fresh immigrant from Poland trying to tell somebody about this holiday 100 years ago and using wrong word?

Oh, and anything other than strawberry marmalade, ajerkoniak (recipes are on Google, don't know the En translation - basically eggs and alcohol) or rose syrup is heresy

Comment

Oh, Pfannkuchen! (Or "Berliner", as they are known in the rest of the republic - this is what some people still think JFK said he was in his famous speech)

They are usually filled with Jam here, but for new year's and Carnival, you can get them with mustard as well (and mix them with ordinary ones).
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
              ajerkoniak
              Haha, funny word! In german, it's "Eierlikör", LEO says the english translation is egg liqueur or advocaat, not egg nog.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You don't want me to start laughing from you beeing Berliner, don't you?

As for the world...directly transalted to EN it would be eggcognac, I believe... (scary stuff BTW)

Comment

The English tradition for the last day before Lent starts (Shrove Tuesday, the following day being Ash Wednesday) is the pancake or crêpe. Had them last night, swimming in lemon juice (which I picked yesterday afternoon in my garden) and sugar.

What I see in the photo is "boules de Berlin" in French but are called here simply doughnuts. I love 'em when eaten within an hour or so of cooking, but they start to stale up after 2 or 3 hours.

The Lent food tradition in the Greek Orthodox Church is very different from the W. Church. It starts 7 weeks before Easter Monday, not 40 days. There is no special food for the day before, but on Green or Clean Monday, everyone picnics on carefully prepared fish salads and the kids fly kites. Thereafter, until Easter Sunday, the faithful have a very strict animal-product-free regime, fish being permitted on Fridays. Not even dairy products or eggs. The week before Easter is restricted to bread, olive oil and water. Then, on Easter Sunday, everyone goes mad and stuff themselves, starting at midnight with flaounes and continuing throughout the day with souvla until they make themselves so sick that many end up in hospital as a reaction to the sudden onset of rich food on a starved stomach!!!
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It's today, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

(realised just now tbh, gotta go get somr or I'll be miserable for...rest of the day )

PS. And remember, don't get heretical ones - inside only non-citrus marmalade/jam (strawberry/some forest fruits/etc.), rose syrup or ajerkoniak/Eierlikör/egg liqueur/advocaat/"whatever it's called at your place"
                    Last edited by Nowhere; 19 February 2009, 11:13.

Comment

marillenmarmelade. mhm.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Lemon, Bavarian Creme, Raspberry...they all disappear almost overnight in this house

We just bought 3 dozen today.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Anyone wanna borrow some pipe cleaners?
                          FT.

Comment

It's a very special kind of food, almost unique in the fact that the more you eat it, the more you resemble to it..
                            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Fat Tuesday in French is Mardi Gras, and the tradition comes down to us because Detroit was settled by the French. Locals then merged it with the Polish Paczki Day, AKA Shrove Tuesday, which was moved from Thursday by the local Polish community in Hamtramck. The joy spread from there until now you can't find a grocery store or donut shop that doesn't sell them.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 February 2009, 18:47.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X