Video Card for AERO Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card for AERO Desktop

...i will admit that i am partial to matrox but not fixed on getting one of their products...with that being said...

i ran the vista readiness test and the only thing that failed was my parhelia 128...it said that the pixel shader version is 2.1 and that it needed ps 3.0 to run the aero desktop.

so my question is...what is the ps version of the 256 AGP parhelia? matroxs' product details don't say...i see vista drivers for this card.

what is another good card?...does matrox still make the best dual head solution anymore?

chuck

ps : i just purchased the full retail version of vista ultimate and will be doing a fresh install after i resolve my video card question.

I don't think you need ps3. My 9800 is ps2.something and works fine.
    FT.

Comment

...thanks !!

cc

Comment

Almost any Pixel Shader 2.0 card will work.

GeForce FX 5xxx and higher will work.

ATI 9500 and higher will work (note - not the 9200 as it is a rebadged 8500 card)

The one graphics core I know of that does not work but supports PS2.0 is the Intel GMA900 core. Intel decided they would rather make money off of chipset sales than write drivers.

Cards I have personally used with Aero Glass -

ATI 9550 (drove two 1280x1024 displays nicely)
        ATI x1300
        NVidia GeForce 6600GT
        NVidia GeForce Go 6800
        NVidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX
        Intel 945GM Chipset

I have a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra somewhere around here i've been meaning to test. Maybe eventually.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

...so can i use my parhelia and not have to buy anything...and with all the eye candy?

cc

Comment

Parhelia only exposes PS1.3 or 1.4 in drivers afaik, so you're out of luck

Comment

P does PS 1.4 off the top of my head. It was originally supposed to do both PS2.0 and VS2.0, but PS2.0 got cut due to cost and VS2.0 never actually got exposed in the drivers.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
              X