WinXP CD Key question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP CD Key question

Can I take a CD key that is being used on a laptop nad transfer to a new or used desktop PC?

The laptop is currently in use but as soon as I use the key on the PC, I would no longer use the laptop. I'm assuming MS would want me to call them when I activate. Do I tell them I stopped using the laptop? BTW, the laptop is a Dell, just in case that matters because I know this OEM license crap can get weird. Anybody want to throw their 2 cents in? Thanks!

I'm off to go read the EULA...
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

If its OEM i doubt you will be able to transfer it.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, I just found this from the WinXP EULA, but from what I understand, the EULA can change from different vendors such as Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc...

Check this out:

4. TRANSFER-Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Product from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user. The transfer has to include all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment.� Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms. No Rental. You may not rent, lease, lend or provide commercial hosting services to third parties with the Product.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

CRAP! I just found this on A dell WinXP CD, but not THE Dell CD that came with the laptop that I planned on ditching, but I'm assuming it will be the same no matter what Dell product it is.

SOFTWARE as a Component of the COMPUTER - Transfer.
        This license may not be shared, transferred to or used
        concurrently on different computers. The SOFTWARE
        is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated
        product and may only be used with the COMPUTER.
        If the SOFTWARE is not accompanied by HARDWARE,
        you may not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently
        transfer all of your rights under this EULA only
        as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the
        COMPUTER, provided you retain no copies of the
        SOFTWARE. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade,
        any transfer must also include all prior versions
        of the SOFTWARE. This transfer must
        also include the Certificate of Authenticity
        label. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer,
        such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer,
        the end user receiving the Software must agree
        to all the EULA terms.
        So basically, I can't transfer the key....bummer.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what do all of you do who pirate XP? I know MS is now putting up that "genuine advantage" crap if you have a pirated copy. Do people just ignore it and continue using XP?

Comment

When I was using a pirated version of XP I didn't do any updates that way I never got that little message saying my copy wasn't official.

But ever since I got this new laptop, I haven't had to worry about that seeing as my copy is official and registered.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Got a free students licence. BTW, I think in Germany it's forbidden to restrict resale of software or transferring the software license to another computer. You buy the software, it's yours - you just aren't allowed to copy it.

Oh, I think my XP Tablet PC Edition isn't exactly valid - I of course do have a legit version, but that's in english and on a recovery CD loaded to the brim with crap. I cannot validate this install, because when I try to, nothing happens. I still have autoupdate on and it's working fine. I can't download some things though, thanks to WGA.

I would just try it. What can you lose other than two hours of time (which is a lot, but you've already taken to read EULAs for crying out loud).
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
                Out of curiosity, what do all of you do who pirate XP? I know MS is now putting up that "genuine advantage" crap if you have a pirated copy. Do people just ignore it and continue using XP?

Somehow I don't think Sasqs would approve of this topic
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I use a multi-license developer's key. I actually had a couple real keys from my laptop and a PC at work, but I got sick of the thing wanting me to revalidate because I change hardware in the system a lot for testing.

Comment

If you try and install a Dell supplied copy of XP onto a non Dell PC it will tell you it's not for that brand of computer It will still install and work though Had an Acer laptop that came with XP Home but the customer wanted Pro so I installed that and wiped the non activated Home. Installed the XP Home on my old Sony laptop.
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

FWIW, my mother has a dell whose CD doesn't even have drivers for her CD burner, so I had to use my XP CD for her burner to work (because I couldn't find drivers for it on the net as well).
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

call me silly...i just purchased the full retail versions of vista(..ultimate) and office 2007 pro

cc

Comment

you're silly!
                          Last edited by schmosef; 19 February 2007, 16:34.
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

i know, i know...but i've used the last os release...uhumm...as a non registered user...i feel as though i am making amends...btw...>$950 usd ...ouch!!

cc

Comment

If you paid more than $349US for the pair, you're silly. That's what Technet Plus Direct costs.

Gain technical skills through documentation and training, earn certifications and connect with the community

Edit: $950? Ouch indeed.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X