Does anyone have an Athlon yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have an Athlon yet?

Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone on this forum have, or know someone who has, and Athlon system. I am curious what they think about their new cutting edge computer.

Jammrock

------------------
    My computer can play all of my games well...except TA: Kingdoms, which I think you need a Kray to play.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Someone's got an Athlon 500 on this forum, I remember reading it in a signature the other day......

That wasn't much help was it....

------------------
    aka Chris H

Abit BP6, Dual Celeron 366@550MHz, 128MB PC100 RAM, G400 32MB DH, SBLive! Value, IBM 22GB ATA/66 HDD, and so on...

Comment

The folks out there OC'ing their K7's are getting nice results. Slowing down the L2 cache to 1/3 clock is letting people get their K7 500/550's to 750+. Niiice.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

750 at 1/2 clock should be more than stable, thats only 375mhz. Celerons have been running higher than that for over a year!
        Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

One of the reasons Celerons are so easy to overclock is their on-die cache, which essentially makes it part of the processor. With PII, PIII, and Athlon, the seperate cache makes things a bit trickier. Both the processor core and the cache memory have to have a high tolerance for successful overclocking to take place. 375MHz is still a pretty high speed for this memory. Things are always improving, though...

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

It's not fair to compare caches anyway. K7's are much larger, and I believe that their L1 is 128kB all by itself (64 data / 64 instruction).
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wonder how high speeds will go before overclocking is gone. Because you do know that no matter how many fans you put in a case air(even water) can only cool material so much. So unless there is a new way(cheaper than slapping some Bose-Einstein compound on) of super cooling a chip or some material that conducts but doesn't melt overclocking and chip speeds in general will plateau sometime.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Nah, we'll be using alternate materials for our chips before we stop being able to cool them. Copper, that new HP chemical setup, optical busses, and quantum computing.

Comment

Working...
                X