Nero 7 Enhanced - My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nero 7 Enhanced - My Impressions

First of all I want to say I only use 4 applications in this suite that contains a ton of apps.
    Recode 2
    Showtime 3
    Cover Designer
    Nero Express

I have been using version 6.6 for about a year and a half and finally decided to upgrade based on the fact that I was hoping Showtime 3 would playback Quicktime mov files properly. Something Showtime 2 could not do. I don't like Quicktime putting it's roots throughout my system.

Recode 2 does what it's supposed to; Encode backups of DVD's and encode other video files to mp4 format. I noticed two things this version did better than the previous one. First, I had a few DVD's that would crash the old version. No such problems with this version. And second this one handles large fonts correctly making menus easier to read.

Showtime 3 is much like the previous. It probably has a few new bells and whistles I haven't gone into it yet. But it does play H.264 files properly.

Cover Designer I use to make Lightscribe DVD's. It works, the old one worked.

Nero Express works.

So I guess I updated to fix a few bugs in Recode 2 and have one video player to play them all.

It was $50 for the upgrade.

Oh yeah. Eventually I will be upgrading to Vista and this version is Vista compatible.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Is that LightScribe technology worth a darn?

It seems to me like one of those technologies that "sounds" cool.

But implementation is often disappointing.

Do you like the results?

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Lightscribe's not bad as long as your expectations are reasonable. Main problems are of course the cost of the blanks and the speed.

It lets you laser-"print" disc labels for sure, but the speed is slow (~20 min) for a full monochromatic graphical print. I find that it's more useful (read: faster -5 min or less) with text-only labels, which is fine if you're only doing a few.

For most jobs I print the labels using an R200. If you do a lot of discs (>100/week) a thermal printer is a decent option. Printing with these costs ~ 2-3 cents/disc. Cheap mono models can be had for ~$100.

Then there is the Primera Bravo II AutoPrinter.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2007, 02:13.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't like Quicktime putting it's roots throughout my system.
        Have you tried:

Get QuickTime Alternative, a free replacement for QuickTime Player, from Free-Codecs. Enjoy playback of QuickTime files without installing Apple's software

Installs a "Media Player Classic" and a bunch of codecs. Worked fine for me to play the QT7 HDV Canon video samples Hulk linked a while back. They also have a Real Player Alternative that for me is more important as I find Real Player even more invasive and annoying than QuickTime.

--wally.

Comment

VLC also plays most Quicktime movies (well...all I've tried at least; I haven't tried HD videos, my CPU is too slow anyway)
          And now there's also version of mplayer for Windows. When downloaded with additional codecs it also can play Quicktime.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrold Jones View Post
            Is that LightScribe technology worth a darn?

It seems to me like one of those technologies that "sounds" cool.

But implementation is often disappointing.

Do you like the results?

Jerry Jones
            http://www.jonesgroup.net

I only use it for demonstration material. I run a band that does weddings and corporate work. We don't need enough copies to warrant mass production and I can't present a disc to a client with hand writing on it. Lightscribe is a good solution I've found. All I need on there is the band name and my contact info. It's neat and it's clean. Plus since I'm often tailor the material on the demo to the client. So for this use it's perfect.

For my own discs I just write on them with a marker!

So for most people I think it's a gimmick, just use a marker. I have a specific use so it's worth it.
            - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Cheap mono models can be had for ~$100.
              Yes, but watch out.

I bought a cheap Casio disc printer and it was such a piece of junk I couldn't believe it.

It worked as if it had dropped out of a bubble gum machine.

Horrible product.

Jerry Jones

Comment

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R320 on my desk specifically for printing discs.

I really like the results I get with it.

The printer was fairly cheap. I have to print a lot of discs (around 500 full colour) before replacing the ink.

The software it comes with for designing and printing the discs isn't perfect but it gets the job done.
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The printer option can be a good one but as Jerry suggests there are some bad ones out there.

For my needs the Lightscribe was the easiest for my purposes. Didn't have to buy another printer, no ink to worry about. The drive itself was only $44 and that's for SATA. The discs are more expensive but still quite cheap.

Also I knew I'd spend too much time on a full color disc design. This forces me to get it done quickly.
                  - Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Hulk View Post
                    The printer option can be a good one but as Jerry suggests there are some bad ones out there.
                    This was the CASIO model I unfortunately bought:

Piece of junk.

Complete and total waste.

I threw it in the trash.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
                    X