X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD DRM "master key" ?

The more complicated the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain

Article...

A lone hacker has unlocked the master key preventing the copying of high-definition DVDs in a development that is sure to get the entertainment industry's knickers wrapped tighter than a magnet's coil. What's more, the individual was able to defeat the technology with no cracking tools or reverse engineering, despite the millions of dollars and many years engineers put into developing the AACS (Advanced Access Content System) for locking down high-definition video.

A hacker going by the name arnezami on the Doom9 discussion boards, has been hard at work for at least the past eight days, when he first claimed to have discovered how to read the volume ID of the movie King Kong. Over the coming days, he documented his progress, with the Eureka moment occurring on Sunday, when he was able to confirm the validity of his method for identifying the processing key. Combining the two allowed him to unlock the copy protection.
    >
    Forum participants continue to debate the implications of arnezami's handiwork. What's known for sure is that his hack unlocks the encryption used to protect content on every Blu-ray and HD DVD disc released to date. Several participants have downplayed the significance of the discovery, reasoning that it could be undermined in the future if the keys are changed or revoked.

But arnezami and others argue it will not be possible for copyright holders to squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube. If a processing key is revoked, hackers can use a player compatible with the new one, insert a disc that's already been cracked, and sniff around in memory for the new processing key.

This week's hack is only the latest sign that the plan to prevent the copying of digital content is less straightforward than Hollywood hoped. Over the past two months, a hacker on the same discussion board who goes by the nick muslix64 disclosed other ways to circumvent copy protections in Blu-ray and HD DVD. Unlike arnezami's method, however, the earlier approach relies on obtaining the unique key for a particular title, making the hack more cumbersome.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Well, hey. The CP lasted eight days. That's pretty good.

They could just make everybody buy new discs and players every week and they'd be good to go.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hahahahaha I love it. 8 days and boom!

Comment

How does the saying go?

Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

not spoil your fun guys, but
          8 days is a bit understatement. HD DVD and BR movies have been in shops about 2-6 months, depending which date is considered availability. There's been undoubtly all that time going on searches how to circumvent the CP, so let's say the CP worked 4 months.

(If I go to egypt and put one of the thousands of year old pyramids full of dynamite in one week and blow the whole thing in sky high, can I say that the pyramid only stayed 7 days against attacks towards it?)
          "Dippadai"

Comment

BUT....it took 8 days of his effort to crack it.

If he had started on day one....
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              BUT....it took 8 days of his effort to crack it.

If he had started on day one....

8 days of brainstorming/hacking still is rather long time for a CP in consumer product. (yes, I know it's not time at all when talking RSA, PGP or just One Time Pad.)

in any case, time will show if he really did it completely. It's still possible that companies haven't yet enabled CP in it's full blown implementation. (BR and HDDVD titles don't use at least "analog sunset" flags, that are known to be included in AACS scheme. If there is something more, time will show that.)

at least this keeps both sides at their tiptoes following other's next move.
              "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
              X