Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone anywhere near Oswego County, upper NY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone anywhere near Oswego County, upper NY?

This is just unbelievable, how to people move around there... .

12 feet 2 inches = 146 INCHES = 3.7 METERS in 7 DAYS!!!!!

I remember one time we got like 20 inches in 24 hours…… when it normally took for some ½ hour to get home, that evening it was 4~6 hours ride in the rush hour…. .

Snow just won't stop in upstate N.Y.

The snow just won't stop. Intense lake-effect snow squalls that buried communities along eastern Lake Ontario for nine straight days diminished Sunday — then started up again early Monday.

Unofficially, the squalls have dumped 12 feet, 2 inches of snow at Redfield. If accurate, that would break the state record of 10 feet, 7 inches of snow that fell in nearby Montague over seven days ending Jan. 1, 2002, said Steve McLaughlin, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Buffalo.

A weather service representative was being sent to Redfield on Monday to verify the total.

Residents of this hardy upstate New York village seem unfazed. Redfield, whose economy thrives on snowmobilers and cross-country skiers, receives an annual average of 270 inches — more than 22 feet.

"It's snow. We get a lot of it. So what?" said Allan Babcock, a lifelong resident who owns Shar's Country Diner, a popular eatery in this village of 650 people.

However, Gov. Eliot Spitzer has declared a state disaster emergency in Oswego County. The county's community of Parish had recorded 115 inches by early Sunday. Mexico had 103 inches, North Osceola had 99 and Scriba 94. The city of Oswego had 85 inches.

The persistent snow bands that have wracked the county for a week were expected to finally end later Monday.

"We have a sharp front coming in Monday that's going to kick all this out. We may get one more burst of snow. But then it's over. Finally, some mercy," McLaughlin said.

However, the forecaster noted that a coastal winter storm expected midweek could bring another 6 to 12 inches to areas of upstate New York.

As the bands shifted north into Jefferson County most of Sunday, residents continued recovering from the heavy snow. Roads were mostly cleared as workers turned their attention to removing the snow and trimming down 10- and 12-foot-high snow banks that continued to make driving dangerous.

The snow led to surreal scenes. One house appeared to be in a cocoon. Drifting snow in the front had swallowed the front door and blocked the windows.

"In all my life, I mean my entire life combined, I've never seen this much snow at once," said Jim Bevridge, 47, of Timmonium, Md., who drove up for a long weekend of snowmobiling.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

I live about 35km from Rouses Point, which is upstate, but oddly enough, we 've only got a few CM in the past 2 weeks.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

That area is prone to "lakes effect" snow; eastbound cold/dry air passes over warm Great Lakes (Erie & Ontario in this case), picks up megatons of water then dunps mountains of snow on the first land mass it encounters.

Western Michigan also gets its share of this from Lake Michigan, as do we during some noreasters.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 February 2007, 08:31.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X