Vista "system builder"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista "system builder"?

So are these copies of windows full licensed versions that I can install on my home made PC?

Yes. OEM Copies just like the old OEM XP disks. Downside is they are under a different lisence when I believe states it can only be used on one computer.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost View Post
      Yes. OEM Copies just like the old OEM XP disks. Downside is they are under a different lisence when I believe states it can only be used on one computer.
      As opposed to what? one copy on multiple machines?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
        As opposed to what? one copy on multiple machines?

Technically ... if you buy OEM/SB once you buy a new computer you have to buy a new copy of Vista. But if you just upgrade, then apparently you are okay.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          Technically ... if you buy OEM/SB once you buy a new computer you have to buy a new copy of Vista. But if you just upgrade, then apparently you are okay.
          I don't understand what you mean here...

Comment

OEM/SB licenses are designed for mom and pop shops. Say you go to Joe's Computer Shack and buy a computer. They will install a SB license of Vista. Two years later you want to get a gaming rig and go back to Joe. Legally Joe cannot put the SB license of Vista that you bought with the original PC on the new PC.

How this works for people who build their own systems is sketchy. Microsoft defines the base system needed to purchase a SB license as I think a motherboard, CPU, RAM and a video card (can't find the SB EULA off hand). So technically if you replace all of the "core components" in your system and call MS to activate your previously purchased OEM/SB copy of Vista they could deny activation. But so far I have never heard of this problem as long as you tell them you simply upgraded some components, or had to replace the motherboard due to failure.

Clear as mud now?

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
              OEM/SB licenses are designed for mom and pop shops. Say you go to Joe's Computer Shack and buy a computer. They will install a SB license of Vista. Two years later you want to get a gaming rig and go back to Joe. Legally Joe cannot put the SB license of Vista that you bought with the original PC on the new PC.
              No prob, that makes sense.

How this works for people who build their own systems is sketchy. Microsoft defines the base system needed to purchase a SB license as I think a motherboard, CPU, RAM and a video card (can't find the SB EULA off hand). So technically if you replace all of the "core components" in your system and call MS to activate your previously purchased OEM/SB copy of Vista they could deny activation. But so far I have never heard of this problem as long as you tell them you simply upgraded some components, or had to replace the motherboard due to failure.

Clear as mud now?

Crystal.

Comment

Can you still buy additional $50 licenses for other machines in your household if you use an OEM Vista? I was thinking of going that route...
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98 View Post
                  Can you still buy additional $50 licenses for other machines in your household if you use an OEM Vista? I was thinking of going that route...

I thought that deal was only good if you bought a retail copy of Vista Ultimate from MS directly? Maybe we are thinking of different deals?

Last edited by Jammrock; 13 February 2007, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
                  X