Anybody here using Liquid to edit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here using Liquid to edit?

I'm reading that Liquid 7 has quite a few effects that are GPU accelerated?

When I checked out Liquid 6 about a year and a half ago I only noticed a few 3D type transitions that were GPU accelerated and I didn't notice a big difference in rendering speed from non accelerated NLE's.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

GPU accelerated f/x aren't unusual. PPro uses them, as does the RT.X100 though its is on the board and not the graphics card. Some plugins even use OpenGL.

IMO it's not in itself a reason to buy a tool as there are more important things than realtime f/x. Just one factor among many, and I'd never decide without a trialware test.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 February 2007, 17:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I use Liquid and versions 5, 6, & 7 all have GPU FX. Liquid actually has three types of FX, CPU which are processed in realtime by the CPU, GPU processed in realtime by the GPU of course and Classic FX which has to be rendered. You basically have the same effects in all three types available both as transitions and filters. The purpose of the GPU/CPU fx is more for realtime playback as opposed to render speed. BTW they also render in the background if you want them to however render speed is very quick for all realtime fx.

DJ

Comment

DJ,

Have you ever upgraded your video card and noticed a performance increase in Liquid.
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Originally posted by Hulk View Post
          DJ,

Have you ever upgraded your video card and noticed a performance increase in Liquid.

The short answer is yes. While I don't have the fastest card (ATI 1600 Pro 512) it was a great improvement over my previous card. However like I said before its for only the GPU FX. If I was gonna upgrade and the choice was between a faster CPU and a better GPU I would choose the CPU. That being said you need to have a GPU which is fully DirectX 9 compliant with at least 256MB ram to run properly.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJ View Post
            Liquid actually has three types of FX, CPU which are processed in realtime by the CPU, GPU processed in realtime by the GPU of course and Classic FX which has to be rendered. You basically have the same effects in all three types available both as transitions and filters.
            Just like the RT.X100, RT.X2 etc.

Those cards & their drivers are all that make PPro bearable, mainly because they speed it up from stick-in-the-mud to zippy plus the extra RT f/x and s/w tools.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Just like the RT.X100, RT.X2 etc.

Those cards & their drivers are all that make PPro bearable, mainly because they speed it up from stick-in-the-mud to zippy plus the extra RT f/x and s/w tools.

One major difference is that Liquid does it all in software.

DJ

Comment

Right, but I bet not on an AthlonXP 2400, DDR266 and a $70 MSI 745 Ultra mainboard
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yes it would.

DJ

Comment

There have been a lot of rumors about the power of modern GPU's being harnessed for video editing. The elegant thing about this is that relatively powerful video cards are available these days for around $200. If you are not gaming and have one of these cards you are basically wasting a very powerful resource in your computer.

For example, I have an AIW X1900 primarily for the video features, not for gaming. It wasn't a lot more expensive than the AIW 2006 but has a much more advanced GPU so I went with it. The GPU just sits there idle in my system. It would be great if my video editing application could make use of it.

That being said Liquid isn't for me. I owned a previous edition and it just didn't fit me.

The reason I started this thread is because I wanted to know if utilizing the GPU for a NLE was actually possible, and effective. And from what DJ is stating it appears the answer is yes.

So now it's up to the NLE manufacturers. It would be nice if your NLE of choice could make full use of your GPU and say a quad CPU.
                    - Mark

Comment

The AMD Fusion looks to be one that'll be useful for stream processing video. Its toolkit lets AMD put multiple GPU;s/core, which also means they're programmable for SP. Now that API's are coming not only for AMD but also NVIDIA (that little black ops thing Intel has going in Colorado is starting from behind) it'll also be easier to implement for coders.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Final Cut uses GPU power?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                          Right, but I bet not on an AthlonXP 2400, DDR266 and a $70 MSI 745 Ultra mainboard
                          that's exactly what was in my nle untill i uppgraded it
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                          X