X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canine heros thread

Krypto?

Ga. Crash Victim Says Dog Rescued Her

THOMASVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- A south Georgia woman bloodied in a car wreck says she owes her life to a German shepherd who, thankfully, just wouldn't stay in his yard.

Shannon Lorio says that after her car careened down an embankment, the wayward dog found her bruised and battered on the vehicle's trunk, pulled her by her shirt collar, dragged her about 50 yards through briars to a highway and let her lean against him so she could flag a passing motorist.

His new name: Hero.

"That dog is always going to have a special place in my heart," Lorio said Friday. "He's my hero."

Hero's previous owners have signed him over to the Thomasville-Thomas County Humane Society since the Jan. 26 accident because he kept wandering off.

He won't be in the shelter long: Not only have at least 50 people offered to adopt him, a dog trainer has agreed to see if he has the right stuff for search and rescue work.

Lorio's car tumbled backward down an embankment in a remote, heavily wooded area. She said she lost control on a curve and was thrown onto the trunk.

"I was bleeding from my face and my nose," she said. "All of a sudden, I felt a presence — a really huge presence. He was straddling me. I have watched too many horror movies about werewolves and vampires. I thought he was going to eat me."

Instead, the dog licked her face, she said.

The 2-year-old dog, weighing 70 pounds, dragged the 136-pound Lorio to the highway, then stood by to help her summon help before she collapsed, she said.

Lorio, 36, of Pavo, said she can't adopt Hero because she already has six dogs, but she's showered him with gifts including a huge bone and a stuffed animal.

"If he ever needs anything, I'll be there," she said.

Dog trainer Heidy Drawdy, of Thomasville, will take Hero next week to see if he's cut out to be a search and rescue dog.

First item on the agenda for the wandering canine: obedience training.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 February 2007, 09:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Story....

Dog Saves Toledo Woman's Life in Winter Cold

TOLEDO -- This winter's weather could have killed a Toledo woman, but she had a guardian angel on four legs. Her dog saved her life.

News 11 is the only station with this amazing story.

Sam Good has something called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy that affects the nerves and muscles in her body. It sparks painful seizures through her body. "It's like Restless Legs Syndrome times 100 and it's through your spine," said Good.

Good told us she was getting ready for bed last week with nothing more than her pajamas on and decided to turn out the lights on her unheated back porch. She said the cold ignited another seizure and she fell onto her loveseat. "I was in a ball and I got in a ball because I knew I was going to freeze," Good explained. "I thought I was going to freeze to death because I couldn't get words out," she added.

Temperatures at the time were in the teens at night.

In the seat, in intense pain, Good says she was finally able to call out Maddie's name quietly by human standards, but plenty-loud for a dog. "She keeps picking my arm up and picking my arm up," said Good while re-enacting the event. "And I'm like, 'Maddie, I can't.'"

"And she just put her back under my belly and kept lifting and lifting," demonstrated Good. At that point, Good says she could barely get her arms around the dog's neck. "She had to keep lifting me onto her back to get the rest of me because I was numb... my spine... I didn't feel anything."

The 104-pound Golden Retriever carried Good on her back, dragging Good to her bed inside. Good was still hurting but was warm and eventually the seizures subsided. If it wasn't for Maddie's rescue? "I'd been froze," Good pointedly told us.

She also said Maddie isn't just her best friend, "she's the best dog ever."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 February 2007, 09:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

This is the exact reason we've always owned a dog. Nothing against cats (love them too), but they just aren't up to the heavy lifting.

Great stories.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
      X