X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing modem with 2 PC without WIN98SE

O Wise & Benevolent MURC Folks,

Like the subject says.

Is it possible with the existing Win98 NON-SE OS without any addon software to share a modem connection between two PCs?

Else, what are your recommendations on an IP gating software? Price?

Thanks in advance!

JamesA.
    <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

no

as for software. i use winproxy ccopyed it from work.

its a nice easy program.

lite versions will do up to 3 computers. and cost arounf 60.00 i think.

on the plus side useing a proxy software program you end up being behind a firewall.
    on the down side (you end up being behind a firewall. (makes setting up games for internet use a little harder)

------------------
    If any message I have posted in the past, present or future has upset or caused someone bad feelings, Im sorry. I only meant those remarks in jest, once again I am sorry. I have a warped sence of humor. (Unless your name is Tylau of course then You can eat shit and Die Die Die you ****ole.)

Noel C. Ridge Jr.

i never said i could spell, hey do we have a spell checker option that can be turned on ???

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

i think: www.sygate.com has an Internet sharing program there's a shareware version you can download there
      hi

Comment

You might need a program called Wingate to take care of that. But be aware that you cannot use any IRC (chat) channels with wingate installed.

Jorden.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

So, uh, WinGate vs. WinProxy vs. SyGate, pros, &amp; cons?

Price?

Need to do Browsing, ICQ (chat, messaging), and Email. Occasionally RealPlayer (we used to have cable modem!! Now just plain old V.90).

Thanks for the response! Please keep on posting more info!

JamesA.

Comment

From http://www.tucows.com, search on Wingate delivers 3 programs, Wingate, FTGate and ZanNet.

Description of WIngate:
            Version Number: 3.0.2 Category: Modem Sharing
            Revision Date: June 15, 1999
            Byte Size: 2,433,001
            License: Shareware
            Cost: $39.95
            Home Page: http://www.wingate.net
            Also Available: Windows NT Version
            Description: Depending on which key you use (WinGate or Professional)
            WinGate allows you to connect many LAN users to the Internet over a single dial-up link. You can run your favorite WWW Browsers, e-mail, news,FTP,Telnet, and more, without the expense of setting up routers, or installing and running additional phone lines. The professional version has many more
            features such as, advanced logging, accounting and auditing, remote system alerts, and more.

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sygate 3.1 beta is out... "This beta has a 100 MB throughput limit for evaluation. It offers Windows 2000 support, a new logging system, auto-load in system tray, SyShield 1.1 compatibility, and black and white list enhancements."

Price:
              $40 for 3users

Pros:
              So easy, anyone can do it. All you need to do is install and sit back while the program configures your system.
              It works.

Cons:
              What? Sharing a modem? Get a second line!(j/k)
              It's not free.

------------------
              Pentium II 450mhz (@464 4.5*103) 256PC100 Ram, 10gig WD, Vanilla G400 32mb/5ns ^_^ , Diamond MX300

[This message has been edited by Paradox (edited 08-27-1999).]
              hi

Comment

I've used wingate in a professional environment and it worked very well in its older incarnations. The newer version(s) is(are) a little bit too convoluted to use readily. We were able to use IRC as long as we set up the service within Wingate and open the port (much like a firewall). This only worked as a proxy for Internet explorer. We required an additional piece of software to allow proxying all other tcp based software - I think it was called AutoSocks. It locally intercepted socket calls and forwarded them to a proxy server on the network. The combination worked fairly slick.

I've recently seen sygate in action and it seems to work even better as you do not require a 2nd application to forward other types of packets. You set your default gateway (0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0) to the ip address (internal/local IP - not dial-up ip) of the system running sygate. Everything else is handled automatically. I believe there is some configuration regarding ports and permissions as well.

These are the 2 that I am familiar with.

Hope this info helps!

Guyv
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

OK folks. I passed WinProxy. I passed WinGate... and tried SyGate 3.0.

Question: Why is there an increase in latency from the &quot;server&quot; machine? I.e. I try to check my mail using the machine that does the IP gating, and it is damn slow (while the modem is NOT busy at all!).

I think I see a general decline in performance using SyGate.

Is there another product that has a lower performance hit?

Hope to hear from you folks again.

JamesA.

Comment

i myself use nat1000 running on a nt box that i have sitting in the living room. it serves 3 users using 10 machines just fine. of course nat1000 is no longer avaible as mickysoft bought out nevod (the makers of nat1000) now if you want the win9x version of nat1000 you have to get win98se.

nat1000 also is jsut what it says it is network address translation for up to 1000 users.

Comment

Most all of these are software solutions, and as such, will not be as fast as a hardware-only solution. Depending on your needs, a product called WebRamp may be just what you need. It connects a single device whether it be modem, isdn, xdsl, etc... to the internet, browser configurable, NAT, firewall, vpn are all different options depending on the model. They plug into your hub and you set your default gateway to the IP address of the device. Since it's hardware, it's very fast - and you don't have to worry about one system dying and all users losing their internet connection.

Just another TCW.
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
                      X