Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember I gave in my Resignation a month or so back ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember I gave in my Resignation a month or so back ?

Well guess what.

The big boss called me into his office today, I was expecting the worst.
    At least another oral shafting for something I had done...

I finish work there at the end of the month.

He's offered me to start my own company, to repair some of the 4000 PC Kiosk's we have.
    He'll basically be outsourcing some of the hardware/softare repair jobs to me.

No details whatsoever have been begun, but this idea was just put to me.
    He's willing to help in any way possible on the creation of this (my) business.

I've already thought about starting my own business, but wouldn't have had any guaranteed clients, just out on a limb.
    Here, I have a guaranteed, at least for 6 months to a year, contract to begin with.
    I may also be given a national contract to do the Repairs on over 900 other machines that we currently run, but don't own.

I am 80-90% sure i'm gonna go with this, just because, well, when else am I gonna get to be my own boss ?

I just wanted your reactions to this, and any advice on what to look out for, especially on how to work out a pricing scale tailored to the business's Income needs, and profit margins.
    I'm going to have a chat with a good friend who set up his own business about 5-6 years ago on sunday, I just need any, and all advice.

Cheers,

Jez
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Great news, as long as you can trust him 100%. I forget, but wasn't he one of the reasons you wanted to leave? Can you get anything in writing - what s to stop the work going elsewhere?

As to pricing, ring around the existing computer repair places and ask what their hourly rate would be, what they charge for travelling etc. Bare in mind you'll need professional insurance and you'll need to warranty your own work.

And there's nothing like being your own boss to get you out of bed in the morning!

Good luck,

T.
    FT.

Comment

No, its my Boss, not the Big Boss, that I really can't stand.
      I can barely look at him now...and I think he's noticed...

The Big Boss runs the company for now, but there is an International Japanese company in the wings, fully paid up, and ready to take over.

They already outsource their technicians.

Basically, of the team-of five at the beginning, I am left with my collegue.

With me leaving, my collegue has all his time taken with the stocks, and paperwork, which he is very very good at. He has a diploma in accounting, and then sort of became a computer technician, more and more over the last 5 years.

Basically, there is no-one left at the upper level to diagnose or repair these machines.
      I already know all the hardware off by heart, and can diagnose and repair virtually anything.

Thats why i said 6 months to a year. Once they have people capable of doing it locally, i'm shafted.
      But there is also a large local-ish community of British and American ex-pats ho could do with some honest help.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

I'm also thinking in the lines of a Vet's, but for PC's.
        No Hardware is really sold, just diagnosis, and repair where needed.

Maybe some custom built hardware could be done, made to order sort of thing...

Comment

All sounds good then

Sounds like a great opportunity to start a business - you have time to build up a client base.

Don't forget SLAs - you need to make sure it doesn't hold you personally responsible for anything you aren't, and that it isn't too onerous.
          FT.

Comment

Sla ?

edit: standard liability agreement ?

Comment

Sounds good to me, what is there to lose?
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Not Much

edit: Nothing in fact.
                Last edited by Evildead666; 8 February 2007, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                  Sla ?

edit: standard liability agreement ?
                  Service Level Agreement.
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Hmmm, pretty poor guess then

At least i know now, even though i'm not sure the same laws apply...

I'm gonna be seeing a good friend this weekend who set up his own business, and hope to get some more info from him..

All info is good info

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                      Hmmm, pretty poor guess then
                      Not really that bad a guess.
                      Be sure to read the fine print.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

and ask questions about everything.

Comment

I really feel weird wishing someone named evildead666 best of luck in their future endevours
                          I'm going to have to go to confession this week, I suppose

All the best, your path seems to be before you
                          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Hmm, after the original euphoria, and speaking to a few more people, the future is even more cloudy...

As Fat Tone pointed out, there was a reason for my resignation in the first place.
                            This puts me right back to square one, but i have no job security, and my life and business is in their hands. Again....
                            If i take a step back, and look at it, its a lot of hard work and graft, to be a repair man.

Do I really want to be a mobile technician, repairing PC's right and left ?
                            what level of repair will i be responsible for ?

These are kiosk PC's, which are to be repaired 'in situ' in the shops/supermarkets.
                            I Stopped my travelling a couple of years back because it was too much hassle for too much wasted time. It ended up a lot cheaper to return the PC's to base, repair them, and send them back direct to the shop.

I've got more question marks flying around my brain than ever before....

Comment

"Do I really want to be a mobile technician, repairing PC's right and left ?"

Youre not what you do. And you can quit anytime you want after starting your own business. And at least you know those people at least a little bit.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X