Overclocking and Case cooling Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking and Case cooling Thread

I thought I'd start a new thread on this over here since these threads get buried over at the Matrox hardware forum.

Well, Steve got me going and I finally made some modifications to my new case. With the case closed the temp would get up to 118 degF with the overclocking that I am doing.

First I replaced the 80mm exhaust fan with a pair of Radio Shack Blowers. These things move an incredible amount of air.

Then, I added a nice 92mm Sunon fan to the home made card cooler that I already had for the graphics cards. This one blows cool air right on the processor and across the top of the G400.

Ok, with the blowers and extra 92mm fan the temp dropped to around 99 degF with the side cover on, not quite good enough...Heheheh
    So, out comes the Drill and the Electric Jigsaw. I cut a hole in the side and finished it off with a car speaker grill. I then lined the inside of the speaker grill with the thin foam air conditioner filter material to keep the dust out.
    The final result is a case temp around 84 degF or about 29 degC.

Paul

------------------
    P3-558(124x4.5), ABIT BX6 r2, 256MB PC100, MILL G400-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext) WN98
    and a (Very Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

For those with a ABIT BX6 rev2 motherboard, I typed out a Notepad .txt file you can save and use to record your Bios settings.
    home.att.net/~albpm/BX6rev2Bios.txt

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi Paul,
      Do the lights dim in Albuquerque when you turn that thing on?
      chuck

------------------
      (erstwhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, Abit BH6, 128meg@cas2 gh, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, SB Live Value, V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

[This message has been edited by chuck (edited 08-08-99).]

Comment

Hi Chuck,
        Just a little flicker but nothing too substantial...Heheheh

Paul

Comment

Although I do not have pictures, I can tell you what I did with my computer.

First off, I have an Addtronics 6896A Extra Series case: http://www.addtronics.com/6896a.htm . This case is very nice. It has room for 5 8x8cm fans and 1 6x6cm fan and one more 8x8cm fan can be added over the CPU with an optional adaptor. I am currently running 2 front case fans, sucking air into the case and 3 small 2cm fans on my hard drive cooler, also sucking in air.

For interior curculation I have 2 Radio Shack turbine blowers. One is on the bottom of the case, by the expansion cards, that shoots air next to the cards to cause a nice little airflow. In my PCI slot next to my video card I have a 3DCool.com Super Slot fan, which takes all of that hot air by the video card and spits it out the back.

I have then have a Step Thermodynamics cooled PIII 450 (running at 504-540 MHz, depending on how my V3 feels that days) that uses a 2 fan system. Fan in the power supply sucking air out of the case. I then attached the second RS Turbine blower on the side of the power supply. This fan takes any residue heat and shoots it into the uppermost 5 1/4 inch bay, where I have 2 8x8cm fans sucking the air out of the case.

Total fan count: 13.
          Total noise with case off: A whole lot.
          Total noise with case on: A lot.
          Total noise with case on and put into my wooden desk cabinet with air vents: I can hear the music again!!!!

Jammrock

------------------
          PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 08-09-99).]
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hey - too many fans spoil the broth...

My PC has been playing up real bad the last couple of days, and after a hell of a lot of friggin' around, I think I solved the problems by DISCONNECTING two fans I added to the side of my PC. I think one of them is causing a lot of electrical interference or something, but I know that although my PC is now warmer, it's more reliable!

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Here is my case.

By the way, that is a 17" monitor next to it!

It has two 5" intake fans, two 4" outflow fans, and one 4" crossflow fan pointed toward the Canopus Pure 3DII and Marvel G200 PCI. I have heatsinks only on both cards. This case was originally a server case with a redundant 300w PS. I was lucky to get a proprietary PS from work, and converted it to ATX.

The CPU temp on the AX6BC doesn't go above 90F even in So. CA during the summer. The Celeron 300A is oc'd to 464MHz.
              Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

Steve C,

Yeah I know, I am working on reducing the number of fans and the noise level. First thing I am going to do is get ride of the Radio Shack Turbine fans. They are nice, but very noisy. I am also adding Dynamat to the interior of the case to block out as much noise as possible. I already have the front and most of the side panels done, I need to do the top and backs now.

Once I am done I will borrow a camera and try and get some pictures up on the forum. I will need some web space first, so anyone can help, I would appriciate it.

Jammrock

------------------
                PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17

Comment

Jammrock,
                  I might be able to toss you a few megs, but nothing huge.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've got some room if anyone wants to post their pictures.
                    Nice case jeepman!! Looks like it has lots of potential.

Paul

Comment

well in case anyone overlooked this little know fact, moveing a lot of air in an enclosed space can cuase static charges to build up. properly ground your system frame ect.. sidepanles ect... learned this tid bit from when i was running ducting for a wood chip and sawdust colector. dam thing was generating some really bad static eltricity untill i grounded it. (enough to knock you on your ass if you toched it at the wrong time)any way run a wire from the metal frame work of your tower/case to the ground of your outlet/ or if your lucky you have a ground screw on your power strip.

------------------
                      what is up with this it lost my pasword and i can't post as merchant2
                      oh and it woun't email me becuase it says more than one email account exists.
                      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Technicolorly, your computer's case should be grounded via the powersupply. But you are right, too much airflow can cause static electricity. I just hope no one goes crazy enough to pull that off in a computer case

Jammrock

------------------

Comment

Hey Genom,

Got any pictures of your setup???

Paul

Comment

Alright, here are pics of what my Intel system currently looks like:

Okay, I have taken out one of the ductings so you can get a better view, on the end of each duct, there is a nidec gamma 28 blowing fresh air directly to each one of the fans on the processor's heat sink. The fresh air is ducted through the bottom 3 1/2 inch drive bay through the fron of the case. I also have the PS fans reversed (yes, I have two in the PS), the bottom front case fan blows in, the fan behind the G200 is blowing out, and the fan on the top,back of the case is also blowing out. In all there are nine fans in my case. I have separated the ribbon cables into rows of 3 and 4 and bundled them together, and shortened them to length to tidy up the inside. My case is a ProCase Full Tower (It is HUGE).

The end result is my system (BH6, celery 300a, 128 PC100) now runs at 504 at 2.1 volts. It also does 464 at 1.85 volts. The case temp went down from a balmy 99 degrees to a cool 84 degrees when room temp is around 70 degrees. My processor usually runs right around 95 degrees (Measured with a Fluke thermoprobe, and an infrared thermometer). Also the noise is not too obtrusive, the system sits in my living room, and my wife can't stand the sound of loud fans all of the time, so I had to choose my fans carefully (those nidecs are actually pretty quiet), and this case squelches most of the noise, anyhow (and the side only comes off for cleaning and adding new hardware).

Rags

Comment

Just my comment on this cooling debacle. While some of you have enourmouse amounts of fans, just having a pile fo fans doesnt help much if you dont plan it right. I've got 4 fans and my case is at 84F with an ambient temp of 80. AND it's a small case (midtower Supermicro) and my CPU and gfc card ar OC'ed as well. So if you get the cables nicely tied and out of the way, and plan a good airflow pattern you'll have a quiet cool machine
                              A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Working...
                              X