Pics and story from my Whistler trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics and story from my Whistler trip

The trip was mostly good, with two bad things.

Bad thing #1. On the first day, first run, my co-worker (who came with us) collided with a teenage snowboarder chick, and fell knees first on the edge of her board. He cleanly severed the tendons just below the kneecaps on both knees. He went to Vancouver for surgery the same day, and therefore missed the whole rest of the trip. He probably won't be walking unassisted for at least six months. It was very gory.

Bad thing #2. On Thursday morning we got the dreaded phone call that conditions were inappropriate for our Heli-boarding trip. It had gotten warm for a while, and then colder again, creating a layer of crust over the mass quantities of powder snow. We got our money back, but it still sucks that we couldn't go.

Anyway, the remainder of the trip was pretty good. Pictures are here:
    Last edited by agallag; 6 February 2007, 14:51. Reason: Funky formatting...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

With the luck you had this trip, the "Bad thing #2" should happen before the #1.... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

wow!

is that type of injury common in snow boarding?

was the girl injured?
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Nope, it was a one in a million accident. I've never heard of anyone else getting injured like this, ever.

The girl was not injured at all, and still had the nerve to yell at him for five minutes for causing the crash, and then she took off. She knew full well how badly he was hurt the whole time.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag View Post
          Nope, it was a one in a million accident. I've never heard of anyone else getting injured like this, ever.

The girl was not injured at all, and still had the nerve to yell at him for five minutes for causing the crash, and then she took off. She knew full well how badly he was hurt the whole time.

B _ _ _ H !

I just would have brake her board in half... .

Comment

Thank god bad things don't always happen in threes

Nice pics, must have been awsome in person.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by agallag View Post

so was the crash really his fault?

i remember hearing something about the right of way rules. the person downhill has right of way but then there's some rule about slowing down or turning unexpectantly.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Amazing pictures

ughh, some people
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

When I think of trip, I wold expect it to be somewhere warm, but that's just me.

Nice pics! Too bad about your co-worker though.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

B _ _ _ H !

I just would have brake her board in half... .
                    over her head!
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

It's a little unclear who was at fault. Technically, the person higher up on the hill has to avoid people further down, but they were apparently fairly equal until she made a blind heelside turn right in front of him. It would've been fine if she showed the least bit of concern for his injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1 View Post
                        over her head!

Of course. You just can’t break a snowboard with bare hands!

Originally posted by agallag
                        The louder the scream, the more covering up it does, right?

You must be a very nice guy.
                        If it was me out there, she wouldn’t go past 1st minute of bitching at your friend, she would be too busy choking on her own glove or something….

I wish your friend good and speedy recovery.

Comment

A month ago here a skiier got hit from behind and ended up dying from head trauma. No one knows who did it but a snowboarder at the scene said he was going for help and never came back. I bet the boarder had been drinking and probably freaked.
                          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                            You must be a very nice guy.
                            If it was me out there, she wouldn’t go past 1st minute of bitching at your friend, she would be too busy choking on her own glove or something….
                            Unfortunately I wasn't on the scene until after she had left. My brother and I were further down the hill, so we had to go down to the lift, back to the top, and down to the scene. My wife was with him, and called us on the FRS radio to get help.

Comment

Working...
                            X