What's your Vista Baseline score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your Vista Baseline score?

I thought this might be useful to see what MS think is needed/important.

I get a 4.2 on Vista Enterprise, 32-bit, determined by the lowest sub-score:

CPU: 4.2 (A64 3400+ S754)

RAM: 4.3 (2*512MB DDR low latency)

2D: 5.9 (9800XT, 1920*1200 + 1280*1024)

3D: 4.6 (9800XT ditto)

HDD: 5.3 (250GB PATA MAXTOR Maxline III 7L250RO)

I find it ironic that the oldest component in the system gets the highest score.

MS Guidelines:

A computer with a base score of 1.0 or 2.0 usually has sufficient performance to do most general computing tasks, such as run office productivity applications and search the Internet. However, a computer with this base score is generally not powerful enough to run Windows Aero, or the advanced multimedia experiences that are available with Windows Vista.

A computer with a base score of 3.0 is able to run Windows Aero and many new features of Windows Vista at a basic level. Some of the new Windows Vista advanced features might not have all of their functionality available. For example, a machine with a base score of 3.0 can display the Windows Vista theme at a resolution of 1280 × 1024, but might struggle to run the theme on multiple monitors. Or, it can play digital TV content but might struggle to play High Definition Television (HDTV) content.

A computer with a base score of 4.0 or 5.0 is able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality, and it is able to support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3 D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content. Computers with a base score of 5.0 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released.
    Attached Files
    FT.

I tested vista RC2 x64 and had 4.5 with the following system :

A64 X2 3800+
    RAM : 1Gb
    Radeon X800 GTO
    HDD : 250Go SATAII+320Go SATAII+...

I am waiting to get a retail version of Vista x64. Maybe I'll get a higher score as I now have 2Gb of RAM. I don't remember what component had the lower score.
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

On my primary laptop...

4.0 overall
      Proc - 4.0
      Ram - 4.4
      Graphics - 5.9
      Gaming - 5.7
      Hard Drive - 4.9

Second laptop...

3.1 overall
      Proc 4.8
      RAM - 4.5
      Graphics - 3.3
      Gaming - 3.1
      Hard Drive - 4.9
      Last edited by DGhost; 6 February 2007, 07:45.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

E6600 @3.6 GHz
        2GB RAM
        X1900XT
        36GB WD Raptor (system drive, non raid)
        Attached Files

Comment

Fujitsu-Siemens P1510
          (Pentium M 1.2 GHz, Intel 915 graphics, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HDD, tablet pc, no dvd drive)
          (note that Fujitsu-Siemens already has Vista drivers for most components in this laptop )

It seems to give no score , but has the following comments:
          1. install DVD drive (duh!)
          2. upgrade the video card (reason: it cannot run aero)
          3. upgrade the ram (needed for aero)

incompatibilities:
          1. Gobinder (Agilix), which is an MS Powertoy for Tablet PCs
          2. Bluetooth widcomm stack (and related comport, audio and lan devices)
          3. Fingerprint software

Some programs might have minor incompatibilities (Norton Ghost, DVD-RAM driver, Windows Messenger (!)), and one is incompatible: ActiveSync (!). Instead of referring to the successor present in Vista, the comment is "refer to the vendor's website".

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

*you have a mac.
            running vista would only downgrade your user experience
            please refer to attached doctors list for required labotomy before installing vista.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I have no clue how to test my Vista Baseline Scoe but it has a sticker saying it's Vista ready so I assume it will run pretty good on my laptop.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                *you have a mac.
                running vista would only downgrade your user experience
                please refer to attached doctors list for required labotomy before installing vista.

Anyway, it's going to be a while before I'm in Vista. Too bad this in not a "Stand Alone" tool.

Last edited by ND66; 7 February 2007, 08:35.
                Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Proc - 5.0
                  Ram - 5.0
                  Graphics - 5.9
                  Gaming - 4.9
                  Hard Drive - 4.5
                  Overall - 4.5

AMD X2 4800+
                  2GB Mushkin DDR 2-3-2-6
                  Asus X800 XT PE
                  IBM Deathstar 40GB(Using Raptors for XP installation currently)
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                    E6600 @3.6 GHz
                    2GB RAM
                    X1900XT
                    36GB WD Raptor (system drive, non raid)

Admiral, what are the RAM specs you have & what motherboard do you use?

BTW, nice set-up.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Strangely enough I have an Asus P5B-E rev.A, the one that misses north bridge voltage settings (can tweak fsb termination voltage though).
                      Memory is Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5 running at 1000Mhz (5-5-5 15) right now with cpu at 400fsb.

Comment

Proc - 4.6
                        Ram - 4.x (dunno exactly anymore)
                        Graphics - 1
                        Gaming - 1
                        Hard Drive - 3.x (dunno exactly anymore)

And this is on a virtual installation (I have installed a running Vista system on VM Ware, just to play around with it). The virtual machine was specified with 2 processors, 768 MB RAM, IDE harddisks; it is running on a dual Xeon 2.4 with 1 GB.

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I've got a 5.4 with Vista Ultimate x64.

I'll updated this post with a screenshot later.
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

5.0, with the CPU (A64 X2 4600+) as the lowest score.
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                            X