Recommend me some speakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some speakers!

I'm looking for speakers, floor standing preferred. My budget is ~500 EUR (more if there's something absolutely fantabulous to be had for only little more), I don't need new ones. Bonus if they also look nice.

Just post what speakers you like
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

I'm very happy with my B&W 601 bookshelfs. Not sure if you can get the floor standing ones under 500EUR, but it's probably not too far off.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Most of the recommendations on MURc will be for B&W speakers. Very good sound, very high quality, not that expensive comparitively.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks so far. Keep it up until the end of the month, when my wallet will decide

I've currently set my eyes on Quadral Amun Pure (with ribbon tweeter and real wood veneer), which I could get for ~850 EUR delivered. It's much more than my budget, but I really like their sound and they aren't too ugly (I originally wanted to get a pair of ELAC FS 207 A (with an Oskar Heil Air Motion Transformer) in white piano lacquer, until I got a price quote around 1500 EUR. I like the Quadrals' sound better, anyway).

I don't really like the Bowers & Wilkins 600 series' looks.

Comment

Az, I happen to have a pair of Quadral Shogun from the Phonoloque Gold line. The Amun is just a tad bit bigger and has a quacker. I am still very pleased with the speaker. The precision of the ribbon tweeter is really fantastic. Never heard a dome tweeter coming close. I do have them with the original Pioneer ribbon tweeters though, not sure if these newer ones sound the same but they should come close (or be better).

This in contrast with their RiCom tweeters which can be found in the new Shogun Prestige II.

OT: I dislike B&W speakers (but I have not heard any over euro 1,000 a piece). I especially do not see why they should make a good team with Denon amps. To my mind, the B&W (sub eur 1,000 a piece models) are very tame while the Denon amps are 'aggressive'. I believe one is ussually better of with more natural devices for speakers and amps combined.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

What's a quacker?

I think if it turns out I can't afford the Amun Pure, I'll get some used Quadrals off ebay.

Comment

I meant a squawker; a mid-range speaker unit.

Quadral does make a lot of trash though. Anyway, Shoguns are available second hand. I'd advise you to listen to them. Again, I'm not fond of the makes with RiCom tweeters.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

If I get something from Quadral, it will have a ribbon tweeter, and it will most likely be from the phonologue series. I did listen to the Amun Pure.

Comment

If used is not an issue for you, I've seen Quadral Phonoloque Gold Wotan's for sale at around euro 1,000 a pair. Not sure if your budget of 500 is a piece or a pair. Them Wotan's have two 25cm woofers as opposed to the 20cm's in the smaller brothers.

You may have to wait a bit but with the new Aurum series using ribbon again I can imagine 2nd hand supply picking up again.

What I do not know is to what extent the wider front distorts the tweeter though (I assume not at all). Never actually heard them.

Comment

My budget was for a pair, so I'll get the smaller used Quadrals - they're actually quite cheap here on ebay. I think it'll be a while until the Aurum show on the second hand market, and probably not as cheap.

Comment

I meant to say that due to the new Aurum series, the Phonologues supply might increase.

Comment

Ah yes, that might be. I'll hold off on buying until I move (don't know when) anyway, but I don't think I'll wait much longer then.

Comment

I've been eyeing up Monitor Audio RS6s for a while - a friend has a pair, and they sound great. They are GBP600, but the RS5s are GBP450, so could squeeze into your budget (if Berlin has a distributor)!
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Hey AZ,

do you know this site ?

Tests & News fürs Heimkino, Fernseher, 4K, Ultra HD, Surround, AV-Receiver, Lautsprecher, Blu-ray Disc-Player, Kino-Filme, Blu-ray Disc & DVD-Schnäppche

Awesome resource and very nice reviews ...

On the left hand side, you'll find a menu ... just click on "hardware" to find the tests
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yeah, I know them. They've had some very favourable reviews of Quadral speakers, and since I wanted Quadral speakers for seven years or so now, but couldn't afford them, I thought maybe now's the time

Comment

Working...
                              X