"Odour logo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Odour logo"

Wonder if they'ed make one that smells like your S/O ?

Scratch 'n smell phone is born

You've seen the advert and heard the jingle. Now prepare yourself for the "odour logo". Electronics manufacturers, airlines and banks are commissioning unique fragrances for use in their stores and on their products.

Sony and Samsung are both testing signature scents, while Sony Ericsson, the mobile phone company, has launched a handset that releases a faint smell as it is used. The marketing ploy has emerged as research from Oxford University shows that it is possible to train people to associate smells with particular experiences or objects. Dr Charles Spence, an experimental psychologist at the university, is carrying out brain-scanning experiments while presenting people with new and recognisable smells to assess the response they invoke. He said: "We are finding that, although we thought our sense of smell was very bad, it in fact plays a huge role in our lives."

While smell has been used for years to help food sales, such as wafting the aroma of freshly baked bread or brewed coffee through supermarkets, it is increasingly being used to sell products and services that normally have no odour of their own.

British Airways has revealed that it releases the faint smell of freshly cut grass into its lounges to create a pleasant atmosphere while Sony has run trials of a unique combination of vanilla and orange in its SonyStyle stores in America and has also launched a new phone in Japan that gives off a fragrance designed to calm users.

Samsung has used honeydew melon in its stores, while its Korean competitor, LG Electronics, has used a chocolate fragrance in packaging for its "Chocolate" range of mobile phones.
    advertisement

This trend was revealed at a lecture last week organised by the Society of Cosmetic Scientists in London.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

A couple of weeks ago I went into a comic book store for the first time in about 15+ years.

The smell of the comic book paper immediately took be back to my collecting days. I immediately felt that rush that I used to feel when I was collecting.

For about 2 minutes I was talking myself into starting collecting again: "Why not? I can easily afford it now," is what I was telling myself.

Then I re-lived my disillusionment with the undustry in general as they started releasing what seemed like every second issue of every series as a special edition with 4 different foil covers, etc.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

What about asthmatics. Even if the smell of new-mown grass may be entirely synthetic, without allergens, it could send an asthmatic into a tizzy. There may be negative aspects, as well as positive ones.

I love the new-pong smell they build into new cars!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I hate the smell of shoe shops and Marks & Spencers stores. They both make me feel totally drained almost instantly. Wifey hates taking me shopping there (I do my best not to complain but she can tell). Perhaps they could add something to counteract this effect.
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
          I hate the smell of shoe shops and Marks & Spencers stores. They both make me feel totally drained almost instantly. Wifey hates taking me shopping there (I do my best not to complain but she can tell). Perhaps they could add something to counteract this effect.
          How about some female pheromones?
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

LOL. I think a creche with widescreen TV and beer (and its own atmosphere) would be a better idea.
            FT.

Comment

I don't know about this, I agree with schmosef that a certain smell could instantly bring back memories.
              Problem here is what if it brings back bad memories, associate a smell with a mobile phone and during the period you used that brand your life wasn't going that good, you argued over the phone with your g/f a lot, you received bad news over the phone... in the end you might not buy that brand because of the bad memories associated with the smell and not how good the product is. Same goes for bad products, i.e IBM drives, Sony notebooks (batteries)... , that could affect other lines of products from the same company. Brand (company) scents are a double edge approach. Product line scents could get confusing.

The only time when I noticed and liked the smell of a product (electronics) is when I bought a Hercules video card, the box and manual smelled like freshly printed material and I like that smell. This is one approach they could take, make the product smell like new, smell of quality, smell nice... not directly associated with the brand, but do make you feel good about that brand. And in the case of a bad product, your "values" won't be overwritten because there are many other general good feelings associated with those scents.

I might be wrong, but this is a first opinion I have about it... like many new things, we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

I don't want to smell like the things I own.
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

And dont forget the smell in the clothes shops
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                  X