Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Upgrade Ideas and Recomendations Wanted

Hello All.

i am getting ready to blow cash on my next system. my birthday is comeing and im starting to plan my next system. thinking K7 500/600 or coppermine. any way i want to start this system off right. im curently useing a minmaw mid tower case. its a nice atx spec case all plastic. but it is getting dated (i like to repace case every 2 main board upgrades.)this one is due) it lasted 2 main boards and 3 cpu upgrades.

im looking for case recomendations. based on atx spec, cooling, cost and of corse i overclock. the elan vital t10 looks nice. what do you use ? what did it cost? how do you like it? do you have a link to the manufature so i can look at it? where can i buy one from online?

this system will be a pure gameing rig and will be hooked into a network the only devices will be a dvd drive, sound card, lan card, video card (g400) 1 harddrive, external modem be it a dsl/cable/or v.90 analog curently analog as i dont have dsl or cable in my area yet. hp laserjet 4 on print port. other devices are present but are connected to other systems in my network.

i have 3 monitors on my desk (at home) one for game rig one for dual head (on swing arm) and one for secondary system(stacked on top of main monitor as i did not have a 2nd swing arm. (cd burning rig/scanner 2nd comp) (color printer and 2nd game rig/print server 3rd comp)oh i use main game rig as net proxie for other systems. but i turn proxie off when i game. now if i could just take a picture of this i could surely win the messist desk award. cuase on top of 3 monitors i also have 2 keyboards a throttle joystic 2 mice and a lot of crap cd cases floppy disks paper printouts empty cups/mugs beer bottles ect....
    oh back on subject 4th system.

recomendations with links are needed requested on the following hard ware.
    1 cases
    2 memorey going to keep curent rig mostly intact
    3 uata/udma 66 hardrives
    4 dvd/cd rom drives. udma if ther are any out there.

thank you

------------------
    If any message I have posted in the past, present or future has upset or cuased someone bad feelings, Im sorry. I only ment those remarks in jest. once again I am sorry. I have a warped since of humor.
    (Unless your name is Tylau of corse then You can eat shit and Die Die Die you ****ole.)

Noel C. Ridge Jr.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Along with cases you must consider power supplies. The best I've seen come from PCPower&Cooling. They've also got a complete lineup of cases - although I hope you are a weight lifter, these cases are not light-weights.

Guyv
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Memory: http://www.memman.com/
      hard drives: http://www.buy.com/comp/default.asp
      At memman check out the 133mhz.memory.At 100mhz.bus speed,it offers utmost stability-with a little future built in.At buy.com quantum hard drives seem to be selling at good prices,as are others.Check the quantum+ka.Good luck! Cases, I whole heartedly agree with Guyver

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 08-23-1999).]

Comment

Merchant, the 'a's are almost right....
        If any message I have posted in the past, present or future has upset or cuased someone bad feelings, Im sorry. I only ment
        those remarks in jest. once again I am sorry. I have a warped since of humor.
        (Unless your name is Tylau of corse then You can eat shit and Die Die Die you ****ole.)
        If any message I have posted in the past, present or future has upset or caused someone bad feelings, Im sorry. I only meant those remarks in jest, once again I am sorry. I have a warped sence of humor.
        (Unless your name is Tylau of course then You can eat shit and Die Die Die you ****ole.)

See the differences??

Your welcome allready

Jorden.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

"sense" not "sence"

Anyway, with regards to the harddisks. The Quantum Fireball KA series has received good reviews and you can never go wrong with the IBM's GXP series. Maxtor also has a reputation for making good quality harddisks though I can't give you a specific series.

If you've heard of (or seen) the MJ-701 "Le-Pard" from ColorCase then I think that might be a good case to go for in the looks department. It allows easy access for upgrades though I'm not too sure about heat buildup.

With regards to the DVD drive. Well, I'm a bit biased towards the Pioneer DVD-103S (or A03S). Slot-in looks pretty - hehehe.

[This message has been edited by TheSnob (edited 08-24-1999).]

Comment

Hi Noel

I've just read about memory.
            they told that the fastest memory chips are made by Samsung they are specified with 7ns/143MHz and guaranteed to work at 133MHz and with a proper MoBo-design it should be possible to run them at 143MHz perhaps higher.

chip-details:
            Manufacturer: KM (Samsung)
            Corenumber: 48S8030CT
            data-part: -G7/-F7

Helmchen

Comment

DVD Rom Drives - I recommend the Pioneer's range hands down. I have the IDE UDMA 103s 6x DVD Slot drive and it is great. There's a 10X version out so I've heard.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

My PC houses one of these things which seems to affect some people's lives far too much...

Comment

Or DVD RAM... Kenwood (I thought they only fabricated stereo's?? ) has a decend one with 24x speed read, 6x write and some 2x other...
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

I, too, have a warped sen<u>s</u>e of humor, Jord, so I just had to pop by and bust your chops....

Big help you are!!!!

----------------------------
                  The once and future motub

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 08-25-1999).]

Comment

Working...
                  X