It looks like we're going LCD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like we're going LCD's

I'm recommending that our section of 12 people here at work be upgraded to LCD from old aging CRT's.

they kind of agree to my direction and want me to create a business case, I want it to be outstanding!

Anyway, we are a bunch of engineers who work on CAD and VISIO most of the time and need to come up with compeling reason why we need to upgrade, need your help to identify those reasons, some of mine are...

1-LCD's offer much more desktop realestate as well as sharpness and detail in order to mazximize effeciancy when working in VISIO.

What else?

Thanks guys!

power savings
    sharper images/less eye strain-more productivity
    no radiation
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I work with CAD all day, and any monitor with convergence problems (and most CRT monitors have some level of mis-convergence) makes drawing hard to read when looking at smaller details
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

In order of greatest benefits:

Power Savings: LCDs really shine in power savings over larger CRT's (21"); They also radiate far less waste heat, let's not forget that any waste heat also must be dissipated from the workspace, which factors into your air conditioning bill.

Space Concerns: LCDs are much more compact, and are physically lighter, which means that they do not necessarily need to be set on top of a sturdy desk: Wall-mounting and Cantilever Arm mounts are possible and are commonly-available accessories, if used, take up no desktop space.

Human factors: LCDs does not have the flicker associated with a CRT nor do they have the telltale scanlines which can blur fine details; eye strain due to flicker and scanlines are eliminated.

Maintenance: LCDs do not require as much calibration as a typical analog CRT - they also drift less over time. DVI-monitors require almost no calibration even for photo-realistic applications. LCDs do not attract as much dust and dirt, nor are they sensitive to magnetic fields.

Life Cycle: LCDs are easier to dispose of, and are not considered hazardous waste (or the same class of hazardous waste) when being scrapped.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

M3 covered it pretty well, but just to be more specific:

At HP we switched from CRTs to LCDs based solely on the $$$: Not only do they consume less power, but the waste heat from CRTs has to be managed by your office's climate control, so you're paying for it more than twice. In our labs, LCDs paid for themselves in a year of use.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

A lesser, but convenient, factor is the space/power savings from built-in speakers. No wires contributing to the rats nest, no power box & no desktop space used.

Not the best for listening to music & videos, but for a non-multimedia system....
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Awesome guys, I think I can compile a nice list of benefits now :-)

Thanks a million!

Comment

Business case sent, thanks a million guys, this is long overdue and well worth the upgrade, even though we are limited to NEC 19"ers.

Cheers,
                Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post

At HP we switched from CRTs to LCDs based solely on the $$$....

Work at HP, huh?

Wouldn't using the HP P1230 CRT monitor be a good enough reason to replace it with just about anything else?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                    Wouldn't using the HP P1230 CRT monitor be a good enough reason to replace it with just about anything else?
                    Wouldn't know. At the lab, we all had HP 21" trinitrons - either one or two
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                      Business case sent, thanks a million guys, this is long overdue and well worth the upgrade, even though we are limited to NEC 19"ers.

Cheers,
                      Elie
                      NEC make some very nice LCDs, and 19" means nice big pixels, so you can lean back and still read stuff well
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
                        Wouldn't know. At the lab, we all had HP 21" trinitrons - either one or two

So did us, until couple years ago. Then we upgraded our CAD workstations & they came with those @#%$&!#%!!!
                        Fuzzy picture, the more toward the corner the worse, color bleeds, etc.

BTW, I still have the 21” at home, couldn’t be happier.
                        The only complain I have is when I have to move it around… .

P.S. Any HP monitor, model number starting with the letter "P", =

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Business case approved!!! Purchasing as we speak!
                          Thanks again guys!

Elie

Comment

Which ones are you getting?
                            doh.. read above, NEC 19"
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I think CRT's suffered from the syndrome "we want the people to move on" So one time good monitors became shitty with convergence etc.

Photographers still want crt's I presume.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X