• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cute PC/Windows bashing by apple

Lots of movies below!

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Now that's some old news

There are also ads for the UK and Japanese markets that are in many ways better than the original US ads.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I laugh at that one everytime I see it. Not because it's all that funny, but rather because it shows how aggravated the Mac ads make some people.

You know why the Mac ads are amusing? It's because they're not far off from the truth in many ways, and everyone who has ever used Windows knows it. Maybe that's why Gates, who claims to have never seen the ads, is so riled up about them...

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
          You know why the Mac ads are amusing? It's because they're not far off from the truth in many ways, and everyone who has ever used Windows knows it. Maybe that's why Gates, who claims to have never seen the ads, is so riled up about them...
          AMEN!
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yeah, problem is that the Mac ads, while "not that far off from the truth"... ARE untrue.

"I'm a mac - mac's don't GET viruses!"
            (Here's a hint - there are more MacOS (pre OSX) viruses than you can shake a stick at. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. Only a couple dozen for OSX, but that's not zero, either. But nobody writes viruses for your Mac because... there's no way to spread them because nobody else has a Mac!)

"I'm a Mac. I have iMovie!"
            (For $100 extra. Windows Movie Maker is free, bitches.)

"I'm a Mac. I play games... oh wait, no I don't. *sigh*"
            (True.)

"I'm a Mac. My webcam is built in. Wheeeee!"
            (Again, extra $$. Sony tried that once, nobody bought the pricier model. Apple solved that problem by eliminating the cheaper model entirely. Whee! Plus, the built-in teeny-tiny webcam is far from great.)

And my favorite just started running. The Mac says "Isn't upgrading to Vista straightforward?" and the PC launches into a huge laundry list of upgrade woes... and yet I've watched people try to upgrade from OS8 or OS9 to OSX. Sure, OSX to OSX.1 is easy. Just like applying SP1 is easy under Windows. Apple just wants you to THINK that "Tiger" and "Ocelot" and "Puma" and "Maine Coon Cat" are new OS'es. They're just 10.1, 10.11, 10.1271, and 10.2 with fancy dog names.

Some of the ads are "close to true" enough to not set off my bullshit-o-meter. But the only people who are going to be duped by these things are the truly stupid.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
              Yeah, problem is that the Mac ads, while "not that far off from the truth"... ARE untrue.

"I'm a mac - mac's don't GET viruses!"
              (Here's a hint - there are more MacOS (pre OSX) viruses than you can shake a stick at. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. Only a couple dozen for OSX, but that's not zero, either. But nobody writes viruses for your Mac because... there's no way to spread them because nobody else has a Mac!)
              Yeah and the Mac ads aren't for anything but OS X. None of the exploits for OS X are anywhere near as havoc wrecking as those for Windows, and given Apple's increase in sales of Macs over the past few years I'd beg to differ that no one else has a Mac.

And there are not hundreds of thousands. You use that parlor trick every time you get riled up about this topic.

"I'm a Mac. I have iMovie!"
              (For $100 extra. Windows Movie Maker is free, bitches.)
              Free with every new Mac, $79 for it and other software in the iLife suite otherwise. But yes, you're right, the slightly less feature-rich WMM is free with the more expensive Windows.

"I'm a Mac. I play games... oh wait, no I don't. *sigh*"
              (True.)
              Wow, as if that one hasn't been beat to death.

"I'm a Mac. My webcam is built in. Wheeeee!"
              (Again, extra $$. Sony tried that once, nobody bought the pricier model. Apple solved that problem by eliminating the cheaper model entirely. Whee! Plus, the built-in teeny-tiny webcam is far from great.)
              The cheaper iBook (now MacBook) was not eliminated, it was simply price a little higher and that wasn't because of the iSight. Most people would have bought an iSight enabled one anyhow.

And my favorite just started running. The Mac says "Isn't upgrading to Vista straightforward?" and the PC launches into a huge laundry list of upgrade woes... and yet I've watched people try to upgrade from OS8 or OS9 to OSX. Sure, OSX to OSX.1 is easy. Just like applying SP1 is easy under Windows. Apple just wants you to THINK that "Tiger" and "Ocelot" and "Puma" and "Maine Coon Cat" are new OS'es. They're just 10.1, 10.11, 10.1271, and 10.2 with fancy dog names.
              Cat names.

Some of the ads are "close to true" enough to not set off my bullshit-o-meter. But the only people who are going to be duped by these things are the truly stupid.
              Of course the ads (slightly) exaggerate the state of things, but that's not any different than what Gates and company claim in some of their interviews (of course it could be said that they're just tired of hearing about how great Macs and OS X are).

No one is duped by them, people are just tired of dealing with the shenanigans of MS and Windows.

Comment

Yeah and the Mac ads aren't for anything but OS X. None of the exploits for OS X are anywhere near as havoc wrecking as those for Windows, and given Apple's increase in sales of Macs over the past few years I'd beg to differ that no one else has a Mac.
                Oh, c'mon. The Mac ads easily mix up problems with XP and problems with Win95, just like every other MS-bashing ad or joke has for years now. Blue screens? Dos mode installs? Complete machine freezes? Ha ha ha. Oh, it's SOOOOOO funny to mix up revisions. So why is it suddenly un-funny to confuse OSX and OS8? They're the same thing, right? They're both running on Mac hardware... *snicker*

And there are not hundreds of thousands. You use that parlor trick every time you get riled up about this topic.
                Adjusted for inflation. 10,000 different known viruses in 1992 equals a million now. But let's face it - if as many people are buying Macs as you claim, then pretty soon there will be a lot of nasty little underpinnings-infiltrating virii floating around - and given the locked-away-from-the-user state of the underlying OS, it'll be decidedly difficult to remove them!

Free with every new Mac, $79 for it and other software in the iLife suite otherwise. But yes, you're right, the slightly less feature-rich WMM is free with the more expensive Windows.
                Pfeh. iMovie isn't all that feature-rich either. And nobody really likes working with QuickTime. But you know what? Most people with both WMM and iMovie are making "mash-up" videos for YouTube, so I suppose it hardly matters which one has the most features.

Wow, as if that one hasn't been beat to death.
                Sure, but there's a good point - that the Mac ads are playing the Mac up as "fun" and "hip" and "young" and "with it" and "exciting". The newbies towards whom these ads are targeted are going to be pretty frustrated to discover that there are three games in toto.

The cheaper iBook (now MacBook) was not eliminated, it was simply price a little higher and that wasn't because of the iSight. Most people would have bought an iSight enabled one anyhow.
                "Most people" still don't own a webcam of any variety. Much less one built into the machine.

Cat names.
                You think?

Of course the ads (slightly) exaggerate the state of things, but that's not any different than what Gates and company claim in some of their interviews (of course it could be said that they're just tired of hearing about how great Macs and OS X are).
                Yup. Pretty much. Apple's ENTIRE advertising strategy since the late 90's has been to produce ads that teeter on the edge of the "truth in advertising" laws and make PC's look stupid. Between the Jeff Goldblum "look, no wires" ads for iMacs, the "Switch" ad campaign that mocked the blue screen (already uncommon) while ignoring the "error 4" bomb, and the new ones... it'd be like if Ford kept running ad after ad after ad about how much better a Lincoln Towncar is than a BMW. It'd get grating.

No one is duped by them, people are just tired of dealing with the shenanigans of MS and Windows.
                Hey, I'd turn around and slap MS for their disingenuous advertising if there weren't already millions of people in that line...

Comment

Oh, c'mon. The Mac ads easily mix up problems with XP and problems with Win95, just like every other MS-bashing ad or joke has for years now. Blue screens? Dos mode installs? Complete machine freezes? Ha ha ha. Oh, it's SOOOOOO funny to mix up revisions. So why is it suddenly un-funny to confuse OSX and OS8? They're the same thing, right? They're both running on Mac hardware... *snicker*
                  The number of people still running older versions of Windows is greater than those running older versions of OS X. I guess I missed it, but out of the latest ad campaign (Mac vs. PC) I have yet to hear anything that didn't still apply to Windows XP. I ran that OS since it's first beta release (and previous versions since 3.1) up until a year ago when I finally stopped needing to remote into it (to open Access files), and I was willing to put up with the issues I continuously had with it for much of that time.

Adjusted for inflation. 10,000 different known viruses in 1992 equals a million now. But let's face it - if as many people are buying Macs as you claim, then pretty soon there will be a lot of nasty little underpinnings-infiltrating virii floating around - and given the locked-away-from-the-user state of the underlying OS, it'll be decidedly difficult to remove them!
                  That's amusing, there weren't even 10,000 known viruses for the Mac in 1992. In 2000 there were only 40. The underlying OS is based on a well-documented infrastructure that itself is based on BSD. There are several anti-virus utilities available, though more does need to be done in making the non-geek Mac user base aware of them.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the 500-odd Office:mac macro exploits.

Pfeh. iMovie isn't all that feature-rich either. And nobody really likes working with QuickTime. But you know what? Most people with both WMM and iMovie are making "mash-up" videos for YouTube, so I suppose it hardly matters which one has the most features.
                  No, it's not, but it certainly has more than WMM. I never touch QuickTime itself when using iMovie, nor would most save for viewing movies. QT sucks, but it's hardly bothersome on OS X. You're right that it doesn't matter which people are using, but then there's hardly a choice to made between the two; one doesn't choose OS X over Windows or vice versa because of those two apps.

My comment was in response to you saying iMovie itself cost $100 while WMM is free - it's not. They both come bundled with their respective OSs. It costs $79 to upgrade to the latest version of iLife (and thus iMovie). You'll have to upgrade to Vista to get the latest version of WMM, unless I'm mistaken. It remains to be seen how MS will handle major version upgrades of WMM from that point on.

Sure, but there's a good point - that the Mac ads are playing the Mac up as "fun" and "hip" and "young" and "with it" and "exciting". The newbies towards whom these ads are targeted are going to be pretty frustrated to discover that there are three games in toto.
                  I'm getting a kick out of this. You rally against generalizations and yet continue to do just that. There are far more than three games available for OS X. True, Windows beats OS X hands-down in the number of good games available; there's no competition there. That said, I've never met anyone who thinks they will be able to play just as many games on OS X as on Windows. They will however be able to play just as many on a Mac as they can on a PC.

"Most people" still don't own a webcam of any variety. Much less one built into the machine.
                  True, but that doesn't change the fact that Mac owners were buying the iSight when it was sold separately at a rather high price point. You argument was baseless anyhow given the price difference between an iBook and a MacBook (the only model to see a price increase, that includes an iSight, with the switch to Intel).

Hey, I'd turn around and slap MS for their disingenuous advertising if there weren't already millions of people in that line...
                  Yeah well, at least Apple's are amusing. And the Switcher ads were real people who had switched, so whatever you may think, their reasons for doing so were real.

Comment

naa Gurm's just pissy 'cause he looks like 'pc'

guys the ads are just funny, enjoy them
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                      naa Gurm's just pissy 'cause he looks like 'pc'

Now that there's funny
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

The number of people still running older versions of Windows is greater than those running older versions of OS X. I guess I missed it, but out of the latest ad campaign (Mac vs. PC) I have yet to hear anything that didn't still apply to Windows XP. I ran that OS since it's first beta release (and previous versions since 3.1) up until a year ago when I finally stopped needing to remote into it (to open Access files), and I was willing to put up with the issues I continuously had with it for much of that time.
                        I dunno. On non-retrograde hardware, XP doesn't "freeze spontaneously", "blue screen" or any of the other crap they make fun of. When it does, it's on bad older hardware. And I've SEEN what OSX runs like on bad older hardware. I'd hardly call it "better" than XP on bad older hardware, by any stretch of the imagination. Nice new Macs are quick and slick and fun to use. Early G4's with the latest OSX tossed on top? Much like running XP on a low-end P3.

That's amusing, there weren't even 10,000 known viruses for the Mac in 1992. In 2000 there were only 40. The underlying OS is based on a well-documented infrastructure that itself is based on BSD. There are several anti-virus utilities available, though more does need to be done in making the non-geek Mac user base aware of them.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the 500-odd Office:mac macro exploits.
                        *AHEM*

I spent almost ALL my time at work defragging and de-virusing Mac hard disks in the early 90's. Mac Pluses (floppy based), SE's (hard disk), and then later II's were so virus prone that it was not unusual to find 100 different viruses on the SAME FLOPPY DISK. I'm not exaggerating the numbers at this point. I once spent literally 4 hours doing nothing but watching the list of viruses on one student's computer just scroll up the screen. The number of viruses for pre-color and early-color Macs was just UN-real. Off the charts. In 1992, I actually switched AWAY from Mac to PC (Pre-Win3.1), leaving behind easy networking, WYSIWYG printing, and all the other perks because I needed to get some work done, and every time you turned around the Mac had gotten another virus.

No, it's not, but it certainly has more than WMM. I never touch QuickTime itself when using iMovie, nor would most save for viewing movies. QT sucks, but it's hardly bothersome on OS X. You're right that it doesn't matter which people are using, but then there's hardly a choice to made between the two; one doesn't choose OS X over Windows or vice versa because of those two apps.
                        AHH, but the commercials SAY that's why. The commercials say that people should choose a Mac because you can make cool videos with it. They always have. Remember the commercial about the couple, in Hawaii, getting married, and editing it on the Mac? The implication is clear: Buy this computer and YOU can make PROFESSIONAL movies! That's the selling point. I mean, Office isn't the selling point. Mac Office is quite nice nowadays, but it's not Office 2k7 by any stretch of the imagination. It's "better than openoffice", which is a great #2 position. And Office SURE isn't the selling point based on price, since Apple can't possibly bundle Office for any reasonable price.

My comment was in response to you saying iMovie itself cost $100 while WMM is free - it's not. They both come bundled with their respective OSs. It costs $79 to upgrade to the latest version of iLife (and thus iMovie). You'll have to upgrade to Vista to get the latest version of WMM, unless I'm mistaken. It remains to be seen how MS will handle major version upgrades of WMM from that point on.
                        Traditionally you've been able to get all the "movie stuff" from MS as a standalone installer. Codec packs, WMV updates, WMM updates, etc. Now, given MS's HUGE push to get people to adopt Vista (which does suck, I'm not arguing that) I wouldn't be shocked to see them "requiring" it in order to install some packages. But I'm also presuming that there will be a workaround. The games that are "Vista only" have already been cracked (which is why none are being released just yet, they're retooling that protection).

I'm getting a kick out of this. You rally against generalizations and yet continue to do just that. There are far more than three games available for OS X. True, Windows beats OS X hands-down in the number of good games available; there's no competition there. That said, I've never met anyone who thinks they will be able to play just as many games on OS X as on Windows. They will however be able to play just as many on a Mac as they can on a PC.
                        I'm simply saying that the ADVERTISING (and the zealots) are trying to make people THINK that they can. Your own statement is disingenuous. Clearly you are implying that by running one of the PC emulators you can get just as many games running as you can under XP, when that's a completely false statement.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that Mac owners were buying the iSight when it was sold separately at a rather high price point. You argument was baseless anyhow given the price difference between an iBook and a MacBook (the only model to see a price increase, that includes an iSight, with the switch to Intel).
                        *shrug* PC owners buy $600 video cards. Console owners buy PS3's (not very many but some). People will always spend too much money on stupid shit they think their pretentious friends will be proud of them for.

Yeah well, at least Apple's are amusing. And the Switcher ads were real people who had switched, so whatever you may think, their reasons for doing so were real.
                        The switcher ads were performed by shills. I'll have to dig to find the link, though. I mean, you have to either be a shill or a complete nimrod to buy a new (really expensive at the time) Mac because your PC - which was under warranty - was crashing whenever you touched the keyboard. "My brand-new PC would crash all the time. Type... crash! Type... crash! I lost all my documents... so I bought a Mac!" C'mon. That's like "my brand new car kept stalling, so I bought a Mercedes!"
                        Last edited by Gurm; 4 February 2007, 18:47.

Comment

I spent almost ALL my time at work defragging and de-virusing Mac hard disks in the early 90's. Mac Pluses (floppy based), SE's (hard disk), and then later II's were so virus prone that it was not unusual to find 100 different viruses on the SAME FLOPPY DISK. I'm not exaggerating the numbers at this point. I once spent literally 4 hours doing nothing but watching the list of viruses on one student's computer just scroll up the screen. The number of viruses for pre-color and early-color Macs was just UN-real. Off the charts. In 1992, I actually switched AWAY from Mac to PC (Pre-Win3.1), leaving behind easy networking, WYSIWYG printing, and all the other perks because I needed to get some work done, and every time you turned around the Mac had gotten another virus.
                          Well then you've run into vastly more viruses than the security companies and Apple itself did.

AHH, but the commercials SAY that's why. The commercials say that people should choose a Mac because you can make cool videos with it. They always have. Remember the commercial about the couple, in Hawaii, getting married, and editing it on the Mac? The implication is clear: Buy this computer and YOU can make PROFESSIONAL movies! That's the selling point. I mean, Office isn't the selling point. Mac Office is quite nice nowadays, but it's not Office 2k7 by any stretch of the imagination. It's "better than openoffice", which is a great #2 position. And Office SURE isn't the selling point based on price, since Apple can't possibly bundle Office for any reasonable price.
                          You can make cool videos using it, and it is a reason for some to choose a Mac, but it's never been the only reason.

Oh and Apple has and sometimes still does use Office:mac as a selling point, but they're surely not going to use it as one in their Mac vs. PC ads (or almost any of them for that matter). How good Office is on a Mac though is entirely MS's doing. That said, I don't see PC vendors bundling Office for any reasonable price either.

I'm simply saying that the ADVERTISING (and the zealots) are trying to make people THINK that they can. Your own statement is disingenuous. Clearly you are implying that by running one of the PC emulators you can get just as many games running as you can under XP, when that's a completely false statement.
                          Hardly. By many accounts Vista runs quite well on Mac hardware. Which is why I said you can run as many games on a Mac as you can on a PC, opposed to OS X vs. Windows.

The switcher ads were performed by shills. I'll have to dig to find the link, though.
                          Some, not all. The ones that were paid actors were given scripts based on feedback Apple received from actual users.

Comment

Arghh, stop wasting time arguing about technical details. Those ads aren't about them AT ALL. They simply look...the only way they can look. The only way people can buy Macs is if they will be reminded how slightly sucky Windows is, because they're used to it too much. They need to be reminded about their dissatisfaction (which they...accept) about computers and start looking/look again for something better. Sure, OS X is also sucky, but a bit less than Windows (for average user).

If those ads were about iPods/Zune, they would look a bit different...audio player is in much bigger part a thing of social status (yeah, laptops too...not that much though)

Comment

again, see what I wrote elsewhere.
                              none of the OS's are perfect.

However right now as long as you are not dependant on OS specific apps, most people seem to agree OSX is a very nice platform - even more agree and I am one of them, it would be really nice if Jobs started really twisting that knife and released it for beige boxes.
                              I chose mac's for the OS, nice and simple. And I hated OS9 and below, pile of crap the lot of them.

lets cut the to real cheese here Gurm.
                              and its not just you.
                              if you change OS, you cease to be top of the food chain.
                              you are no longer the 'guru' you are 'teh noob'
                              That ultimatly is the real reason nixers hate using windows, mac users hate using nix and windows users hate macs
                              Last edited by Sasq; 4 February 2007, 19:04.
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X