Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English language question: person teaching ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English language question: person teaching ?

Hello,

And again we have an English language question.

How do you call the person that is teaching a number of students (at a university level); you know, the one standing in front of the class/auditorium and explaining everything.

"Teacher" sounds more like a highschool function...

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Professor or Assistant
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Is there no general word?

(I was considering "tutor")

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Tutor is more for one-on-one teaching. Certainly not a prof, but a prof often does tutoring as well as teaching.

Comment

In Dutch we have the word "lesgever", literally meaning "he who gives the lessons". I was hoping for something similar in English...
          The Oxford dictionary mentions "Instructor", but somehow this does't seem right...

Also, the material used for teaching (a book, ...), is there a particular name for it?
          Can you use "syllabus" to indicate it?
          (edit: yes, found it in the Oxford)

Jörg
          Last edited by VJ; 1 February 2007, 04:56.
          pixar

Comment

Syllabus: A concise statement or table of the headings of a discourse, the subjects of a series of lectures, etc.; a list of contents; an abstract, a summary.

Curriculum: A course of study at a school, university, etc.; the subjects making up such a course.

Comment

from wiki:

Teachers in college are called instructors or lecturers. In the United States, the term "professor" is usually applied to college or University teachers who have received their Ph.D., while instructors or lecturers have received their Masters degree, and usually are pursuing their Ph.D. Professorial rankings from Assistant Professor through Full Professor that may be defined differently at various institutions.
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

One more for "Lecturer" ("Lector" in Romanian).

Comment

Now I have been Dutch all my life and for the life of me I can not remember ever having heard the term "lesgever". "Leraar" at (high-)school, "Docent" at uni or BA level.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

UK:

Teacher at School
                    Tutor at college (esp. part time and adult learning)
                    Lecturer at Uni
                    Professor usually is someone who's gone Lecturer -> Senior Lecturer -> Reader (maybe) -> Professor. It often has a degree of administrative responsibility attached to it (head of department or group) and is a title that the Uni has the power to bestow. Retired Profs are still known as Prof.
                    FT.

Comment

scum sucking oppressor of the masses...

oops sorry wrong generation
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                        scum sucking oppressor of the masses...

oops sorry wrong generation
                        scum sucking?! must be my lucky day!!!
                        /meow
                        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                        Asus Striker ][
                        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

what to call a university 'teacher' or 'lecturer' or 'professor'

a person who makes otherwise happy people's lives miserable ...

Comment

Originally posted by henryc View Post
                            a person who makes otherwise happy people's lives miserable ...
                            says the senior prof
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Umfriend:
                              Could be colloquial... "lesgever" is used here to indicate the person teaching the class; but this person can be an assistant, a "docent" or a professor. Each of these three are possible mandates one can have at the university, but each of them can lecture a class.

GuchiGuh:
                              Vorleser would translate to "voorlezer" (not a real word in Dutch), literally meaning "he who reads the text out loud"

henryc:
                              What a way to make an entrance...
                              Welcome btw.

I do like the word "lecturer"

Thanks guys!

Jörg
                              Last edited by VJ; 1 February 2007, 07:00.
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X