• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANON Unveils New "HV20" 24P Consumer HDV 1080i Camcorder

Link to full Canon press release: http://tinyurl.com/yskrhj

Link to photos on AkihabaraNews.Com: http://tinyurl.com/33zsxs

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

The camcorder has external microphone input and headphone jacks, according to the specifications.

Link to CamcorderInfo.Com story: http://tinyurl.com/24yuwb

Price... around $1,100.

Pretty amazing deal for the money.

Jerry Jones

Comment

I don't like how they describe the resolution as 1920x1080 when actually what gets recorded to tape is 1080i anamorphic HDV. I wonder if the HDMI output is the full res progressive scan output from the CMOS sensor? One can only hope. Maybe it's better colorspace as well...

I found some HV10 samples here:

They are impressive, as I would expect from Canon. What is even more impressive is teh 1080i image they get from bitrates ranging from 1 to 5mbps.

My cpu usage is about 25% for the 720p video and about 40% for the 1080i video. It maxed at 58% at one point.

No problem for my system. I wish the bit rate was higher so I could really see what the camera can do.
      Last edited by Hulk; 1 February 2007, 00:43.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I just brought those samples into my NLE to have a better look. They really are quite amazing for such a small form factor camera. Especially at that price point.

The color is really good, not oversaturated or hyped, some might call it a little dull but I've rather have it that way than over done. And more importantly the images are not overly contrasty as most home video tends to be. I don't know if this is more the operator of the camera knowing what he/she is doing or the camera. I suspect it is both. But either way this camera can give great results.

What do you guys think about these samples?

Sure there is some artifacting due to the extremely low bit rate these samples were compressed to but ignoring that, what do you think?

If the HV20 is better then that is amazing. If these cameras were hard disk or Flash capable I'd buy one today.
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Well, the HV10's weakness was never image quality.

The images are great.

The problem was the lack of an external microphone input.

That problem killed the deal for me.

So this new model comes with both an external microphone input and a headphone jack.

In addition, the low-light capability is said to be improved.

In addition, there's new noise reduction technology that is supposed to make the images even better than those of the HV10.

The only downside of this camcorder is the tape-based recording, but editing should be relatively easy so I suspect this model... at that price... is going to sell, sell, sell.

Jerry Jones

Comment

I have the original Canon Digital Rebel DSLR with a good copy of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. This "old" combo is still so good I don't have a strong urge to upgrade.

Canon really has the digital thing down as far as image quality is concerned.
            - Mark

Comment

Agree.

This new Canon is the top consumer HDV camcorder model on the market, in my opinion.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
              X