Hoax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoax

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, hoax means to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous. However, the governor of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick, seems to think it means a harmless publicity stunt that makes your police and government officials look like complete and total fools. His quote on the Mooninite signs that were reported to be improvised explosive devices? "It's a hoax — and it's not funny," So... does he think the advertisers were trying to trick people into believing actual real-life Mooninites were really going to invade Boston?

Another wonderful quote: "No matter who did this, I think there's probably enough evidence I think the Boston Police Department, the bureau, state police — everybody will probably get together … I wouldn't be surprised to see someone charged in this. This is an extremely serious situation," former FBI Director Bill Gavin. "Whoever did this — whether it be kids or adults — if they think it's funny, I think they'll soon learn it's not that much of a humorous situation."

Yes, it's not easy to find humor in the face of such a blatant example of government incompetence.

Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 31 January 2007, 18:02.

First, an old terrorist/guerrilla trick is to rig an innocuous object.

Second, not everyone is familiar with Adult Swim iconography, and some were inverted etc. making their appearance inconsistent.

Third, anyone who would place such devices where they did (train overpasses, in a hospital etc.) in a post-9/11 world needs their ass kicked.

While first responders were chasing Turner Broadcastings wild goose the real baddies were going to school observing the response on CNN, another Turner holding.

Nice move
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 January 2007, 18:07.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

"They have been in place for two to three weeks in Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. Parent company Turner Broadcasting is in contact with local and federal law enforcement on the exact locations of the billboards. We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger."
      Obviously the fact that they'd been in place for so long and were noticed by authorities only today is a sad commentary in itself.

Still rather reckless of Cartoon Network to stage this stunt and not inform authorities sooner.

I don't "get" ATHF at all, anyway. Why the hell do they look like food, for Pete's sake? And what the hell is "Assy McGee" supposed to be about? I swear to God, those morons will air ANYTHING.

Kevin

Comment

They weren't noticed by authorities but by commuters who callled them in. Once the first report was aired people started looking for anything unusual, and found it.

ATHF is one of the poorest examples of "entertainment" on the air.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Here's a youtube video of the terrorists planting their IEDs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doD_VpT_yAY

Comment

Very fitting comment on youtube:

In this age of terror you can never be too sure. This message to you could be bomb. Terrorists can strike ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, with ANYTHING. Be afraid. Be terrified. That way the terrorist will lose. Wait a mintue...
            Mordrid, where is your old thread about this, where authorities say the circuits look like (IIRC) detonators or something?

FUD. I'm really not a conspiracy theorist, but one important question always has to be asked when things seem fishy: Cui Bono?
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
            X