Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need wireless and wired networking in this PC - how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need wireless and wired networking in this PC - how?

OK, so here's the situation: My PC is connected to the router via WIFI. It works great with either an automatically obtained or a fixed IP address.

Now I want my Squeezebox (network music player, uses IP) to connect to the PC via ordinary LAN. But whenever I activate the NIC (and give it an IP address, subnet mask, etc.), I can't reach the internets anymore. Why? The Wifi connection stays connected, I just can't access anything anymore via IP (not even the router). What am I doing wrong? (XP Pro)
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Have you activated the DHCP in your routeur or assigned IP address' to a specific MAC address? What's your setup?
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 31 January 2007, 12:23.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

If you set up the connections manually with fixed IPs, there is no reason why you cant do what you want. Just make sure that you are not conflicting IPs and name servers. I'd stick both NICs on the same subnet.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Wireless NIC has IP etc. set manually, Ethernet deactivated - all works fine. Once I activate Ethernet (not connected to router), My computer wants to use that to connect to the internet, apparently. How can I fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          Wireless NIC has IP etc. set manually, Ethernet deactivated - all works fine. Once I activate Ethernet (not connected to router), My computer wants to use that to connect to the internet, apparently. How can I fix this?

What do you mean, when you activate it it wants to use the net? You've entered the NIC's MAC in your router and assigned it an IP address and gave your NIC in wondows the same IP address?

Comment

does windows prioritize wired ethernet over wireless when it comes to which is the primary connection?
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
              does windows prioritize wired ethernet over wireless when it comes to which is the primary connection?

How would it do that? Normally you have to manually connect it to a WiFi network, then you can use it, but if you've successfully connected once, windows will remember the ssid and reconnect to it automatically when the system boots into windows. But usually it prioritizes wired when it's already plugged in and set up properly if it doesn't have thewifi network already programmed in the settings, but I forgot the name of the tab.
              Last edited by ZokesPro; 31 January 2007, 12:46.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it broadcasts on all adaptors. If you enable the wired NIC and type ipconfig /all what happens?
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Code:
                  Hostname. . . . . . . . . . . . . : friedrichstable
                          Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
                          Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unbekannt
                          IP-Routing aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein
                          WINS-Proxy aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein

Ethernetadapter Drahtlose Netzwerkverbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
                          Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
                          Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-52-D8-92
                          DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein
                          IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.200
                          Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                          Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
                          DNS-Server. . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.50.140.252

Ethernetadapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
                          Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
                          Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-15-B7-72-A7-5D
                          DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein
                          IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201
                          Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                          Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201

Comment

I have tried setting standard gateway on the wired NIC to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.200 as well. I have no DNS servers configured for it, but I can't even connect to wirelessly connected IP addresses if I enable it. The squeezebox, which is the only thing on the wired NIC, can connect fine to the PC.

Comment

At work if we have wired plugged in it always uses the wired cable over wireless. Must be a way you can change it.

Dunno if this helps http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0405.mspx
                      Last edited by The PIT; 31 January 2007, 13:43.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It helped... kinda. I can have both activated now (just set metric for wired NIC to 100, which is higher than the WLANs automatic metric) and have internet access - but the squeezebox can't connect to the server anymore

Can't I have all ports going over one connection and three ports going over the other?

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                          How would it do that? Normally you have to manually connect it to a WiFi network, then you can use it, but if you've successfully connected once, windows will remember the ssid and reconnect to it automatically when the system boots into windows. But usually it prioritizes wired when it's already plugged in and set up properly if it doesn't have thewifi network already programmed in the settings, but I forgot the name of the tab.

seems I was on the right track
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

OK, to more accurately formulate what I think I want:

I want port 3483 tcp/udp and port 9000 tcp using Ethernet, and all other traffic using Wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                              OK, to more accurately formulate what I think I want:

I want port 3483 tcp/udp and port 9000 tcp using Ethernet, and all other traffic using Wifi.
                              honestly; with your setup you'd either have to bridge the two nics or setup proxy/routing.

an easier solution would be to connect the squeezebox directly to the gateway/switch.
                              /meow
                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                              Asus Striker ][
                              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                              X