File Transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Transfer?

I have purchased a new hard drive and wish to transfer specific files from my old hard drive to the new one,alas,I don't have tape back up,nor do I wish to use floppies,as it would take about 60 of them!Can I set up master-slave and transfer this way?You see I want to set up the new drive with a clean install,and add said files after completion.I have already copied files to a specific folder and now wish to transfer this folder to the new hard drive,simply and with minimal screw up.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks in advance!

That is probably the easiest and fastest way of doing things, just make sure your new drive is installed as the primary master, (doesn't matter where the second goes to).

Colin
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Wouldn't it be faster if they were both masters on their own channels?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

i might be wrong but. before loading all your
        software. ect formating your drive.

but when you fdisk a drive and make a partition active. can you have that drive conected as a slave or secondary master. with another drive (boot partition) ive tryed in the past and never goten it to work. always made sure not to set the newer drive to active untill i was done copying needed files then set drive to active. ?????

if im right make sure you don't set the partition active until you are done copying files.

------------------
        If any message I have posted in the past, present or future has upset or cuased someone bad feelings, Im sorry. I only ment those remarks in jest. once again I am sorry. I have a warped since of humor.
        (Unless your name is Tylau of corse then You can eat shit and Die Die Die you ****ole.)

Noel C. Ridge Jr.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Yes it probably would be faster if they were both masters , but you prolly won't notice that much of a difference

As for setting the partitions active, well, I always do that anyhow, and I choose between new and old drives in the BIOS, (using the boot order function).

Colin
          You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

I recommend using primaries for HDD's and secondaries for CD-ROM's etc. Also if you have CD-R(W) do not put it to same channel that the HDD you burn data from is.

_
            B

Comment

Working...
            X