Vista x64 driver support thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista x64 driver support thread

Not sure if anyone else is interested in a thread where we post drivers that work under Vista 64-bit? If so, I would love to sticky this thread and people can post when they install Vista and get a device working. I get my Vista disk tomorrow so I'll be able to contribute then. What does everyone else think?

I already know my Canon Canoscan FB 620U scanner will not be supported under Vista
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I have a Brother MFC 210C that works OOB in both Vista x86 and x64.

Silicon Image 3x12 card worked fine with drivers off of their website.

ATI and NVidia drivers work fine with drivers off their websites.

I have a Dell e1405 laptop that worked out of box with Vista x64. It has a Core 2 Duo, 945GM chipset w/ ICH7. I believe the network card is a Broadcom, but I use a Broadcom Draft-N miniPCI card in it that works out of box. Audio is a SigmaTel HD codec that works, but required driver updates due to stuttery sound with the PCI-e power savings features. Only thing that still doesn't work quite right is the scroll features on the touch pad due to a lack of x64 software.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Promise couldn't be bothered writing a driver for XP x64 for my FastTrak SX4000 RAID card so I doubt very much a Vista one is imminent
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
        I already know my Canon Canoscan FB 620U scanner will not be supported under Vista
        I had the same problem with my CanoScan 630U with the 64 bit version of Vista RC1 (and Windows x64) ....along with some other hardware that wouldn't install.
        I ended up getting the 32 bit version of Vista and everything works fine.

Comment

Thanks Tom, but I plan on(and I am actually) using Vista x64. So 32-bit Vista is not an option for me. I plan to dual boot XP until I no longer need it.

I realize that there is a boatload of software out there as well, that won't work with Vista. I just checked Quicken and apparently it will work in x64 XP or Vista but I haven't tried it myself yet.

ATI X800XT PE works great with the 7.1 Vista drivers including CCC which is way faster than on XP.

Marvell on-board Gigabit NIC worked with default install but I upgraded to later drivers from Marvell's page. So the Yukon NNICs are supported.

Creative Audigy 2 ZS works fine and is supporrted.

My next step is to try and use the XP x64 drivers for my Promise card and see how that goes.

I downloaded Vista VIA drivers but have not installed them yet. The default setup recognized the chipset and works great so far.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hi Helevitia,

You probably already know this, but there's some good stuff, including hacked drivers, at http://www.planetamd64.com/.
            I found some hacked 64 bit drivers for my Promise ATA378 IDE controller there...none of the ones from Promise or Asus would work at all.

Comment

Thanks Tom. I knew about those drivers but just assumed the Asus drivers would work. But you are right, I had to get those drivers for the Vista beta I was running. Thanks for the reminder

Comment

I'm quickly becoming aware of the severe limitations of running a 64-bit only OS. All of my fears about hardware not working were minimal but the amount of software I no longer have access too is huge! For instance, I can't use EAC or LAME anymore. Anybody know of a way to run 32-bit apps on Vista x64? I keep reading about some kind of 32-bit compatiblity mode, but I haven't dug into that to see if something really exists.

Comment

Avast anti-virus works in 64-bit, FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                    Hi Helevitia,

You probably already know this, but there's some good stuff, including hacked drivers, at http://www.planetamd64.com/.
                    I found some hacked 64 bit drivers for my Promise ATA378 IDE controller there...none of the ones from Promise or Asus would work at all.
                    Guess what, the Asus drivers worked. Not sure why the didn't before but they work now.

Comment

I wanted to clear something up that was confusing me, maybe it'll help others. Apparently 32-bit apps will work in 32 bit mode in 64 bit Windows Vista, but the problem is that a 32 bit app will not work inside of a 64 bit app. An example of this is Quicktime plug-in. You can click on a quicktime link within 64 bit Internet Explorer but it will not play inside Internet Explorer, it will open the 32 bit quicktime to play the file.

This is how I understand it to work. Drivers are another story though. AFAIK, you can only load 64 bit drivers. I don't know if anyone else was confused by this, but I was.

Comment

Logitech Setpoint has 32-bit and 64-bit Vista drivers.

EAC doesn't install even under 32-bit mode.

Comment

Guess what, the Asus drivers worked. Not sure why the didn't before but they work now.

So which drivers would you recommend for using the Promise IDE SATA controller under Vista 64-bit?

Comment

well, I used the x64 drivers from Asus' site, but Vista told me there were new and updated drivers so I let Vista install those. So it look slike the drivers hat Vista wants to install from Windows update will probably be the best option for now.

Comment

What makes you say that?

I have that scanner, and was worried about compatibility w/ vista.

Comment

Working...
                              X