Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista?

System:Gentoo 2006 EstableDell Inspiron 2200 (Celeron M @ 1.2 ghz, 256MB Ram, T.V. I915)Kde 3.5BerylXorg Modular con aixgl y composite ActivadoResolucion 102...
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Vista in its wet dreams wishes it could do that
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Vista doesn't even dream about doing that on this hardware:
      Dell Inspiron 2200 (Celeron M @ 1.2 ghz, 256MB Ram)
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

It has to tell you something that Linux can run like a racehorse on sub-ghz systems while Vista needs multi-ghz systems to do the basics.

Heck; we have an old PIII-850 laying around that runs XP Pro nicely
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 January 2007, 10:53.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post

Heck; we have an old PIII-850 laying around that runs XP Pro nicely
          Here we have an old HP Kayak w/P3 400 in it and runs fairly decient
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Reminds me a lot of the OpenSUSE demo from a while back, but with the bouncy menues. Pretty damn cool me thinks. I may have to run a triple boot just to play with it, unless I can find a Live DVD with it all preloaded.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So, this is worth showing off. I've got a P4 3.2GHz with a Radeon 9800, so I would suppose it would be fairly smooth. How hard is all that to setup though - download Gentoo ISO, install it, then...
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

ATi Linux drivers are considered inferior to outright bad. Though now that AMD is in charge that may change. To get a real feel we need someone with a good nvidia setup to try it out.

Though you could try it if you want.

Install Gentoo, then you need Beryl (http://www.beryl-project.org/) for the window manager, and lastly AIXGL (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AIGLX) for effects, and I think that's it.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Was having a discussion with someone about this the other day. I would have no problem switching from, say, Mac OS X to Linux on the OS level for 99% of the system features and how well they're implemented. Save for Firefox and Thunderbird (which hardly count given you can run them damn near anywhere), you couldn't get me to switch for the applications.

Linux as an OS has progressed so far and it's awesome that the developers finally realized a couple years back that the GUI was severely lacking and that superfluous visual effects aren't necessarily a bad thing. Sadly most of the applications available for the platform are piss-poor imitations of their Windows and Mac OS counterparts. Granted some of the libraries that those applications utilize are first-class (KHTML, etc.), and there are some good applications out there, but they're few and far between.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Install fedore core/suse/ubuntu/whatever + compiz (the more stable platform Beryl forked from) and have fun. I have a friend who uses such a setup in his workplace.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

My next OS will probably be ReactOS
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                        Install fedore core/suse/ubuntu/whatever + compiz (the more stable platform Beryl forked from) and have fun. I have a friend who uses such a setup in his workplace.
                        Okay if it works.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X