Hubble's main camera shuts down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubble's main camera shuts down

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The main camera on the Hubble space telescope has shut down after an electrical failure, Nasa has said.
    Astronomers are calling the malfunction of the Advanced Camera for Surveys a "great loss" as it has taken the clearest pictures yet of the universe.

Scientists for the US space agency said only one-third of the camera's capabilities are likely to be restored.
    FT.

Said it once & I'll say it again; it had its day, but now it's more expensive to fix than to replace, not to mention risking 7 astronauts.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Said it once & I'll say it again; it had its day, but now it's more expensive to fix than to replace, not to mention risking 7 astronauts.

I agree. We need to put a better bird in the sky and let the Hubble die an honorable death.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What's needed is a smaller modular telescope; a standard basic structure to which you could attach whatever solar panels, optics & circuit boxes are required for the mission.

This would make them far cheaper and allow several to be up at once for doing interferometry. Interferometry lets an array of small telescopes act as a much larger one.

One dies & you stick another on an Atlas & up it goes.

They're trying this with rovers, so why not?
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 January 2007, 11:30.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X