Intel Penryn 45nm!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Penryn 45nm!!

Intel gives us a quick look into their next-generation processor, codenamed “Penryn,” that is due to be available in late 2007. This is certainly some technology that could give Intel a further leg up on the competition.
    Looks VERY promising.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

AMD needs to do some serious catching up or come up with somethign awesome in the graphics departement soon.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Intel is also rummored to show interest for the descrete graphics market. So we might see graphic chips produced by Intel again (like the i740 in the past).

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
        AMD needs to do some serious catching up or come up with somethign awesome in the graphics departement soon.

AMD is touting their Barcelona core as being "40% faster in most applications" versus Clovertown (current Intel quad core). Mainly because Barcelona is a true quadcore with some serious cache on it, but also because they claim the new floating point coprocessor is 3.6 times faster than the current gen AMD processors.

Time will be the judge as the whether this is true of course. Barcelona CPUs are due out in mid-summer.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Intels are actually 2 dualcores in one case & they won't have a true 4 core until mid-2008.

With AMD going with an enhanced/shared L3, HyperTransport and the new FPU (an offshootof the ATI merger) they just might pull off that 40%.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Isn't Yorkfield supposed to be a quadcore on a single die? Ofcourse it depends on the definition of "true quadcore"...
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie View Post
              Isn't Yorkfield supposed to be a quadcore on a single die? Ofcourse it depends on the definition of "true quadcore"...
              The reports are kind of mixed. Yorkfield will be based off the Penryn, but with a unified L2 cache. Whether that means 4 independent cores on a single die, or 2 dual-cores on a single die has yet to be announced, as no shots of the architecture have been released. That I can find at least.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                Intel is also rummored to show interest for the descrete graphics market. So we might see graphic chips produced by Intel again (like the i740 in the past).
                This should be nice for Linux/BSD/etc., given how Intel open sources drivers of integrated GFX...too bad (for me) on PCIex only

Comment

Working...
                X